[Vision2020] The Potency of Submission

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:00:17 PDT 2005

The Potency of Submission
Douglas Wilson

Husbands are commanded to love, and we are taught that the kind of love they
are to render is the kind that bestows loveliness. But wives are not
encouraged by this to simply be passive recipients—they are given a command
as well. They are to be subject to their husbands (Eph. 5: 24), and they are
to honor and reverence their own husbands (Eph. 5: 33). We find the same
principle at work—respect bestows respectability. "Wives, submit yourselves
unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. . . . Therefore as the church is
subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every
thing. . . This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the
church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife
even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband" (Eph.
5:22_24, 32_33).

In some sense, the relationship between husband and wife is like the
relationship between Christ and the Church. Consequently, husbands are
commanded to model themselves after the pattern of Jesus Christ. In the
reciprocal way, wives are commanded to model themselves after the Church.
They are in the first place to submit themselves to their own husbands, as
to the Lord (v. 22). Just as the Church is subject to Christ, so wives are
to be this way to their husbands in every thing (v. 24). There is no great
mystery involved at all if men brow-beat their wives, but Christian marriage
is a great mystery (v. 32). So husbands are to love, and wives are to
reverence their own husbands (v. 33). As we shall see, this does not reduce
women to a state of helplessness, but rather it leads to a true feminine
authority.
With wives, as with husbands, the Christian pattern of "self-improvement" is
death and resurrection. What is true of the Lord is true of the Church as
well. Just as Jesus died for the Church, so everyone in the Church is called
to take up the cross and follow Him. So wives are equally summoned to
fulfill this pattern, and to mortify their own desires for autonomy. The
pattern is not "husbands die, wives coast." Both are summoned to die, so
that they might be raised to their particular calling.
Wives are to "submit" themselves (hupotasso, v. 22). The word is a Greek
military term, and means to subject, submit, subordinate oneself to a line
of authority. The same word is used in v. 24 (cf. 1 Pet. 3:1). In Titus 2:5,
the same word is rendered as "obedient." In verse 33, wives are told to
reverence their own husbands (phobeo). In this context, it carries the sense
of "awe, honor, and respect," and not the idea of being scared or having a
phobia (the same point should be made in 1 Pet. 3:2).
A few other words from elsewhere in the New Testament help fill out the
picture. Sarah was subject to her own husband (hupotasso, 1 Pet. 3:5), and
in the next verse it says that Sarah obeyed her husband (hupakouo, v. 6),
calling him lord (kurios, v. 6 ). Peter tells wives that they are her
daughters if they do what is right, and do not give way to fear. The word
hupakouo comes from the duties of a porter, who was to listen attentively at
the door for an inquiring knock. In 1 Tim. 2:9 the word aidos urges women to
a deferential reverence.
This means, along with some other novel ideas, that Christian wives should
obey their husbands. Wives need to get clear on the actual standard. The
fact that your husband is to love you sacrificially does not alter the
content of what this enables you to do. Of course husbands are prohibited
from bluster, bossing about, selfish grasping, and all the rest of it. But
the Bible nevertheless requires wives to obey their husbands. This obedience
is to be cheerful, complete, and reverent, all the way down, and across the
board. Remember that in our passage St. Paul tells wives to be subject to
their husbands in every thing. Now I am fully aware of the fact that in our
current cultural climate this is a perfectly outrageous thing to say and
teach. It may even be illegal in some states. This is too bad because the
grass withers, the flower fades, but the Word of the Lord endures forever.
You have heard the qualification about this many times—no human authority is
absolute, and if your husband commands you to break God's law, then you must
(submissively) decline to do so. But this is almost never where the problem
is.
What we considered earlier now comes home in a striking fashion. In order to
do this, a woman must die, and be raised again. In Gen. 4:6-7, Cain is told
that sin lies in wait for him, and desires to master him, but he must rule
over it. This is a very unusal combination of words in Hebrew, and the only
other place it is found is in the previous chapter, where Eve is told that
her desire will be for her husband, but that he will rule over her (Gen.
3:16). Part of the fallen order is this desire that women have to run their
husbands in an ungodly way, in big things and little things. But Jesus came
to deal with this, and He enables Christian women to partake in His
suffering and death, and He raises them up again.
The fear is that this teaching will turn women into doormats, fit only to be
walked over by abusive men. The very opposite is the case. Remember that we
have learned that love bestows loveliness. If a man sacrifices himself in a
Christ-like way, laying down his life for his wife, in issues great and
small, what is her natural response? Is it "Oh, good, now I can get really
fat"? Not at all—love bestowed bestows loveliness. But the God who made the
reciprocity of the sexes included this feature in it as well. Respect
bestows respectability. Honor bestows honor. Reverence bestows dignity.

Revolution is not a word but an application; it is not war but peace; it
does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause separation; it
generates togetherness.
-John Africa, Strategic Revolution