[Vision2020] Building and development planning

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 11:54:32 PDT 2005

Brad et. al.

Thanks for the link to the article about how Willits, California is
addressing the energy crisis (and other associated issues), which I think should not be
viewed as something that will happen in the future, but is happening right
now.

Vision2020 gets numerous complaints about content, but often there are
critical issues that are addressed on this list that garner scant attention.  Sorry
I missed your previous post on this issue where you first presented this link.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/08.10.05/willits-0532.html

Some may think depletion of fossil fuels is not a "local" issue, but if any
issue is both local and global at once, it is this one!  Unless you are living
in a culture unplugged from the critical need for fossil fuels.

I wonder when the hoarding of gas, bought at what will be assumed to be lower
prices and easier availability, will start to become more common?

We can debate when this will happen, but that it will happen is not
debatable!  Well, that is, unless the USA starts a "Manhattan Project" type of effort
to both save existing fossil fuel resources as much as possible, and then start
transitioning aggressively to other energy sources and technology.  People
can point to the development of new energy sources and more efficient
technology, but the facts are that the US and global consumption of fossil fuels, in a
pattern that creates continuing dependence on these fossil fuels for economic
viability, continues to increase.

When we see an actual leveling or a reduction in fossil fuel consumption,
then we will know the problem is really being addressed!

The free market conservatives who think the marketplace will solve these
problems are ignoring that the marketplace does not focus on the costs of business
as usual (continuing squandering of fossil fuels) fifty years in the future
(or whenever the fossil fuel crisis hits hard) in the quarterly reports given
to stockholders, when we will see the impact of the lack of sufficient planning
now occurring for the end of the age of cheap oil.

Ted Moffett