[Vision2020] Bush To Eliminate US Dependence On Oil By 4920

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sun Aug 14 16:25:37 PDT 2005

All:

Now that high gas prices appear to be with us for good, can those living as
though there is no global energy crisis that cannot be easily solved, while
they drive their under 20 MPG rigs with abandon, etc., stop emulating the
Ostrich?

It is a no-brainer that we should be using the energy from fossil fuels to
help us establish the infrastructure and technology for non-fossil fuel energy
sources that will be necessary to maintain any civilization resembling our
current lifestyle for more than a generation or three.  Waiting till fossil fuel
resourced energy skyrockets in cost will only make the transition to an energy
economy mostly based on non-fossil fuel technology much much harder.

I am afraid we can eat our cake now and leave a few crumbs for future
generations to fight over, and I mean "fight" quite cruelly and literally, or we save
some of our cake to support an easier transition for future generations to
make more cakes of a different flavor.  We most decidedly are not going to have
our cake and eat it to!

Yes, you profit and growth hounds, it may mean less growth and profit in the
short run.

However, interfering with the overriding first principles of the religion of
profit and growth riles the faithful more than critiques of local churches!

Nuclear power may be the best means of transitioning away from a fossil fuel
economy, but there is major opposition to this in the USA.

This first web link takes a hard look at a very possible future we may be
facing very soon...

http://www.energybulletin.net/4856.html

>From the link above:

"The upshot of all this is that we are entering a historical period of
potentially great instability, turbulence and hardship. Obviously, geopolitical
maneuvering around the world's richest energy regions has already led to war and
promises more international military conflict. Since the Middle East contains
two-thirds of the world's remaining oil supplies, the U.S. has attempted
desperately to stabilize the region by, in effect, opening a big police station in
Iraq. The intent was not just to secure Iraq's oil but to modify and influence
the behavior of neighboring states around the Persian Gulf, especially Iran
and Saudi Arabia. The results have been far from entirely positive, and our
future prospects in that part of the world are not something we can feel
altogether confident about."

And this link below offers satire on the Bush administrations approach to
these problems...

http://www.energybulletin.net/7822.html

Ted Moffett