[Vision2020] Building and development planning

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 14 13:08:21 PDT 2005

It’s kind of the paper and others to let us know that there is strong
movement afoot to increase the property development in Latah County and that
such activity is a major economic engine for growth on the Palouse.  Couple
that with the desire in Whitman County to expand and get more houses built
in the non-urban realm of the rural setting and you can see the joys we get
from build all those new houses and housing developments.

That they note that the thrust of this development is advertising that we
are an excellent location of out of area retirees is also interesting.

The problem with all of these calculations is that retirement housing is not
a long term economic stimulus.  The reality is that retirees pay less in
total taxes than they receive in services and they are replacing people who
pay more in taxes than they require in services.  Study after study of the
long term effects of transition from rural business, be it logging, mining
or farming, to retirement community status show that from a base of about
0.7 tax to service requirements for rural business and families, rural
counties experience a change to about 1.6 tax to service ratio as retirement
community status is attained.

And the problem of groundwater is compounded with all of that development.
The compaction of soils and the alteration of the groundwater infiltration
from development has been identified by the EPA as the largest single
contributing factor to groundwater quantity reductions in the USA.  From the
amount of estimated construction in the recent articles, we are covering
hundreds of acres of critical ground a year and what exactly are we getting
out of the economics of that?

As the articles note, outside developers are very interested in building
here, so even the little economic benefit derived from the building phase is
being siphoned off.  You can see the same thing from the building projects
that U of I just completed, in which Spokane and out of area contractors
received most of the work.

The whole thing is a prescription for sprawl, in which only if we continue
to attract more and more retirees can the area sustain an economy and with
each new batch that comes in we need higher and higher taxes to give them
the services that they want and need.  It’s a Ponzi scheme that works so
long as a new and growing list of victims is acquired annually, but what
happens when the music stops?  What happens once they have built across the
entire basin and do not have enough water?  What real businesses will be
here to carry the tax burden?

Some people might think that it’s a wonderful idea to take the Palouse and
turn it into a regional Phoenix Arizona, but I remain to be convinced.  It
seems to me that covering the best farmlands in the Pacific Northwest with
houses and driving out the rural things that make the Palouse a wonderful
place to be is short sighted.  But that is the direction we are traveling in
and recent events and preferences for development are driving this train
full speed to that destination.

Phil Nisbet