[Vision2020] A perspective on the NSA arguments at the P&Z meeting

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 15:05:17 PDT 2005

Visionaries:

Dale Courtney offers a download of what Trinitarian life in Moscow looks
like at _http://right-mind.us/images/Downtown.wmv_
(http://right-mind.us/images/Downtown.wmv) .   This is undoubtedly a come-on to lure other like-minded folks
to Moscow.   In that vein, perhaps Bob Hieronymous, lately of the University
of Idaho, will  offer the video he made last night at the P & Z meeting to
perspective NSA students and their parents.  Unfortunately, it would hardly  be
a recruiting tool.  (Bob, toting camera equipment almost as  big as he is, has
apparently added general dogs-body to his job  responsibilities.  I certainly
hope he is getting over-time pay.)   Sadly, viewers of his work will not be
impressed to meet leading kirkers  like:

John Grauke, in an excess of kirk hyperbole, some how connected (in  his mind
alone) the crisis of 9-11-01 to the zoning issue of NSA in the downtown
business district.  It is doubtful that members of the committee were aware  that
Grauke is a member of the Board of Trustees of NSA.  A forthright  person
would have mentioned the connection, but those of us with experience with  the
kirk know better than to expect full disclosure of pertinent facts.
Jack VanDeveter, reminded us that 350 years ago in Boston a small  liberal
arts college (much like NSA????) was founded.  Surely, even in the  misty minds
of kirkers, they do not pretend that NSA will become Harvard.
Roy Attwood, looking a bit worn around the edges - perhaps all the  fun of
the Trinity Festival has fatigued him, or maybe he is still  recovering from his
lackluster performance on the My Town panel - tried  to help the committee
members and audience understand that rules are  made to be broken (a kind of
variation of Grauke's spiel).  The richness of  that irony did not leave me
unmoved.  How is it that when kirkers  break the law the law should be ignored or
changed to suit their needs?   Should we take his remarks to be a not so subtle
message that NSA is above the  law?  Somehow in Roy's mind holding NSA to the
same standard that the rest  of the community is  discriminatory.
Andrew Crapuchettes alerted us that colleges downtown are good for a  city
-using Boston and Philadelphia as examples.  Note to Andrew: try not  to compare
apples and oranges in public.  This does not reflect well on  your NSA
training.  Cities of a million plus vs. a town of 22,000 with  a very small central
business district are not quite the same thing.  A  quick review of the old
Sesame Street Show which has a song called "One of these  things is not like the
others" although challenging, is definitely in order,  Andy.
Bob Hieronymous  resurrected the old "we are really like a  commercial school
for the mind" argument by deconstructing  the functions and uses of NSA.  For
example, we have a library and  that is a permitted use.  We have a bookstore
and that is a permitted  use, etc. etc.   Silly is a kind word for his
argument.
Doug Farris, Mr. Heirloom, read a prepared statement about the  beauty of
Moscow which stands in sharp contrast to his statements on Dale  Courtney's blog
wherein he regularly mocks Moscow residents, the University of  Idaho faculty,
and proudly writes unabashedly ugly diatribes aimed at  the gay and lesbian
members of our community.
Mark Wentz, a GQ kind of guy - boy would Elizabeth Zinser have liked  to have
him lounging elegantly around her as a gofor - waxed on and on about
multi-stored buildings with many uses in downtown Moscow.  (Mark: read the  note to
Andrew above).  Mark also suffers from selective memory, perhaps  John Grauke
could help him out on that.  He was the big inside  booster and land use
professional for the kirk who spearheaded the drive  for NSA to be located in the
central business district.  I am surprised  that in his studies with Nels Reese
he apparently missed the classes about how  zoning laws have an impact on
building use.

But where was Massa Wilson?  As usual, the general was leading from  the rear
allowing the troops to take the hits.  He needed to Cherish  the Ladies last
night, and so, presumably, he did.

Rose  Huskey
"And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him  five smooth stones out of
the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he  had, even in a scrip;
and his sling [was] in his hand: and he drew near to the  Philistine. "
1 Samuel 17:40