[Vision2020] Welcome Back

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 11 13:02:14 PDT 2005

Welcome back, Jerry.  Glad to have you on the list again.

I attended the P & Z meeting last night, as you might have guessed from
my earlier post, and I want to offer an observation today that I should
have offered then.  (I'm sorry, but I was too lazy to wait in line.
Also, I wanted to hear what everyone else, including members of the
committee, had to say about the "school-that-shall-not-be-named," New
St. Voldemort,  zoning situation.)  Both Nels Reese and Sue Scott
talked almost exclusively about parking and economics, with Nels
delving off into an assessment of Moscow's emotional state, and Sue
declaring that, for her, this was only an issue of money and parking.
Art Betje (sp?) and Bill Lambert spoke more broadly about the
comprehensive plan, and I was grateful for that, but it concerns me
that no one talked about enforcement.  Enforcement of existing code, it
seems to me, is the real issue on the table.  Will the City of Moscow
enforce its own zoning codes or not?  And if not, then why ask the
Planning & Zoning committee to consider writing any new code at all?
That's a bit like asking you to go to a lot of time and trouble to bake
a cake that the city may or may not eat.  Why bother?  Why not toss
them a box of Twinkies and call it good?  Then you could all go home at
a decent hour, maybe watch "The Daily Show" or "Desperate Housewives"
and enjoy some time with your friends and families.

I want to know why the Moscow City Council -- who are elected and paid
for their service, unlike the volunteers on P & Z -- are asking you to
write a new code to replace the old code that they either don't want to
or don't know how to enforce?  This is a dreadful waste of your time,
and it's also a waste of ours.  It's not just that the city might not
eat the cake you bake, Jerry -- they might toss it, frosting and all,
into the nearest trash can.

Whoever said "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee" never met our city council.

Joan

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com