[Vision2020] Quinlan/Kirk women/etc.

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Aug 8 14:24:38 PDT 2005

No more wearing Birkenstocks, 'cause I really seem to have stepped in it
yesterday on a couple of fronts.

My applause of Dr. Quinlan's work was intended to affirm his recitation of
the substance and background of the Trinity Fest.  I felt, and still do,
that he succeeded in outlining the problems most people would have with the
speakers and their views.  Further, I think that his main points were to
outline the Trinity Festival speakers and to call for Dr. White to clarify
the UI's position on hosting the event, and it was those points I applauded.
  Unfortunately, I wasn't specific, and it appeared that I was offering
kudos for his entire analysis, including the three crimes he mentioned
before talking about Trinity Fest.  I know very little about Wil's murder,
the burning of the GSA flag, and the two brothers he mentioned, and my
thanks and affirmation of his work was intended only for that which spoke
directly to the Trinity Fest comments.  That seemed clear to me, but I can
see now that it wasn't clear to everyone and especially not to a couple of
folks who emailed me off-line to protest.

I can't imagine that more than a couple of people in Moscow care at all
about what I think of Dr. Quinlan's work, but I apparently offended, or
could have offended, a great many more by commenting on J Ford's view of
women in the Kirk.  Again, I truly believe that I enjoy greater freedom and
growth married to a non-Kirker than I would if I were married to a man from
Christ Church, and it's difficult for me to see that the Kirk's strong
emphasis on patriarchal hierarchy in the home would result in a great deal
of openness and freedom for the women therein.  I'm afraid I can't apologize
for such conjecture, even as I know it can't be proved or disproved.
However, I see now that the comment was hurtful and insulting to these
women, and frankly made it sound as though I "have it all" and was thus free
to hurl pity at them.

For that, I am truly sorry.  It wasn't my intention at all, but the effect
of what I say is important to me.  To the Kirk woman who emailed me
expressing her belief that I was prejudiced and spiteful toward Christ
Church, I apologize -- again,  NOT for believing that patriarchal hierarchy
results in suppression of women, but for being so flip in trumpeting my life
as an example of what she and other women are lacking.   IF other women are
in any way oppressed, that's cause for deep lamentation on my part, not glib
reminders of how "the rest of us" live.

Finally, I can't apologize for my saying that not all ideas are equally
valid and that beliefs have consequences, some of which are bad enough that
we ought to reject the idea behind them.   The alternative to that isn't
"liberal," it's loony.

Whew.

keely emerine mix