[Vision2020] Bishop: Bombing Hiroshima, Nagasaki Same As Terrorism

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 14:06:30 PDT 2005

All:

We often hear support for the use of nuclear weapons against Japan in WWII.
The USA had been attacked by Japan, and the quickest way to end the war and
save US soldiers lives was to use nuclear weapons to force a quick surrender.

But the ethical reasoning in the War on Terror pleads that the USA is morally
superior to the "terrorists" in Iraq because we do not indiscriminately
target civilians.  Then was not our use of nuclear weapons against Japan an act of
"terrorism?"

How is the targeting of civilians in Iraq by "terrorists," to fight the US
occupation of a country that we bombed and invaded with no solid evidence that
Iraq had attacked the USA, morally different from the targeting of tens of
thousands of innocent civilians the US killed in the nuclear bombings in Japan in
WWII?

Bishop: Bombing Hiroshima, Nagasaki Same As Terrorism

POSTED: 8:25 pm PDT August 3, 2005

WASHINGTON -- The president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops said,
that like terrorism today, the atomic bombs that the United States dropped on
Japan to end World War II were unjustifiable because they failed to
"discriminate between noncombatants and combatants."

Bishop William Skylstad wrote a letter to the head of Japan's Catholic
Bishops Conference in advance of Saturday's 60th anniversary of the bombing of
Hiroshima. That atomic bomb and a second one that was dropped on Nagasaki three
days later killed more than 130,000 people.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/4807499/detail.html

Terrorism and nuclear weapons “fail to discriminate between combatants and
noncombatants,” wrote Bishop William S. Skylstad of Spokane, Wash., in a letter
to Bishop Augustinus Jun-ichi Nomura of Nagoya, Japan, who is president of the
Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Japan.

http://www.baltcatholicreview.org/story2.asp