[Vision2020] Correction (plus a fresh, if pointless, rant)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 21:52:07 PDT 2005

"Sorry.   I've been possessed again by the spirit of
Foghorn Leghorn. It happens all the time."--Joan Opyr

I hear Foghorn Leghorn is now a Senator from
Tennessee. Guess where I get my news from nowadays?

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is not true and
accurate news, but I know it is not real, unlike the
viewers of FOX, CNN and CBS that think their news is
true and accurate.

Donovan J Arnold

--- Joan Opyr <joanopyr at earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...]
> week that beat all
> > I have ever seen.  He accused members of the
> church of being traitors
> > and turn-coats, weaklings and cowards.  He
> castigated them for not
> > supporting him in his battles; for daring to have
> opinions and ideas
> > of their own; and for not being what Rose would
> call "lock-step
> > toadies" to his particular (and frequently
> peculiar) interpretation of
> > the Bible.  He talked about enemies existing both
> within and without
> > the church, but his focus was on those within.
> >
> > "Am I therefore your enemy because I tell you the
> truth?"
> >
> > I recently re-read "Labour of Love" (which is
> available on Tom
> > Hansen's website,
> http://www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse) and was
> > struck by the difference in tone between its
> gentle but firm Christian
> > remonstrance and Doug's flailing about, his
> girding up his loins for
> > battle, his turning up rocks, searching behind
> trees, and looking
> > under the bed for heathen enemy boogeymen.  I
> doubt Pastor Rogers and
> > I would enjoy one another's company.  He's
> anti-choice; he's anti-gay;
> > and he probably has hair taller than the Empire
> State Building, with
> > Fay Wray and King Kong shellacked to the side, but
> yesterday he said,
> > "When looking for the devil, fail not to look in
> the pulpit."
> >
> > Doug is welcome to attack me.  So, too, are his
> minions -- my dear
> > blogstalkers, who give Brother Carl and I a good
> fifteen minutes of
> > free radio material every Sunday -- but when a
> shepherd begins to
> > assault his flock, I begin to worry.  I begin to
> worry a lot.  I fear
> > for those who cannot escape the onslaught for
> whatever reason, social,
> > spiritual, or financial.  Power corrupts, and
> absolute power corrupts
> > absolutely.  Doug recently announced that his son,
> Nathan, was his
> > best and wisest advisor.  Nathan is a foolish and
> sheltered 26
> > year-old.  He edits Doug's magazine, Credenda
> Agenda, a nightmare
> > publication of hateful bigotry, willful ignorance,
> and distasteful,
> > snotty, immature arrogance.  He acquired a few
> years of nearly-real
> > life experience at the margins of the wider world
> by attending a
> > couple of small, sheltered liberal arts colleges,
> but he came home and
> > entered his father's employ.  On the whole, he
> knows about as much of
> > the world as a novice in a nunnery.  Nate's father
> is his be-all,
> > end-all, his boss and his minister, his teacher
> and his guide, and yet
> > Nate is now the man to whom Doug turns for his
=== message truncated ===>