[Vision2020] Separation Of Church & State

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 12:07:14 PDT 2005

Kai et. al.

Please explain how there would not be discrimination against a religion if
the Kibbie Dome rented to Moscow Idaho's Christ Church for a worship service,
yet denied the Aryan Nation Church the same privilege to worship in the Kibbie
Dome?

Or are you going to claim that the Kibbie Dome would allow the Aryan Nation
Church to rent the Kibbie Dome for worship services?  I doubt this, if for no
other reason than that the public relations nightmare that would result would
place the U of I in the national headlines in an unfavorable way.

In this case of use of governmental property and facilities for religious
worship, it seems clear there is a valid issue regarding the state being drawn
into endorsing one religion over another, a situation that our constitution
appears to forbid.

Right?

Or do you want the state to be allowed to endorse some religions and not
others?

If I missed where you addressed the above simple questions, I apologize in
advance.  But I have not read a response from you that directly answers the
problems I posed regarding the Kibbie Dome renting for religious worship.

Your numerous examples of "worship" on various kinds of public property
quoted below, as an argument against the principle of separation of church and
state, are off the mark, because those who argue for the principle of separation
of church and state do not state that all uses of public property of any kind
should be totally religion free.

You are exaggerating the claims of the side of the argument you are arguing
against, and then arguing against this extreme exaggerated position, that no
one I know is arguing for!

A common debate tactic, but not very fair, or intellectually honest.

Kai wrote:

"Picture the results if that view prevails: No more weddings led by a clergy
member on any public property, no religious funerals at public cemetaries,
no Easter Egg hunts in the parks or at the White House,no St. Patrick's Day
parades,  no half-mad evangelicals shouting from street corners, no Krishnas
dancing and shaking their tamborines down the streets of Santa Monica and no
Mardi Gras in New Orleans."

Ted Moffett