[Vision2020] Separation Of Church & State

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Mon Aug 1 10:17:50 PDT 2005

You won't find it there.  The First Amendment in the Bill of Rights (the first 10 amendments to the Constitution) includes the following language:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...."

I thought it may have been mentioned in the Federalist Papers, a series of essays written by John Jay, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton in support of the Constitution as part of a campaign of support for its ratification by the States, but I didn't find it.

The following link purports to discuss the phrase's history, though it is simply an internet posting on the web and I cannot vouch for its accuracy.  A review of its discussion appears to be correct, but I have done relatively little work in this area.  Thomas Jefferson is credited with popularizing the  phrase in a letter writteen as President in 1802, though first use of the phrase is credited to Roger Williams of Connecticut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state_in_the_United_States

It is a fascinating area.  Googling will lead you to a number of sites set up by religious groups who believe that separation of church and state was not intended by the founders, and of course, to others taking a contrary view.

Bruce Livingston