[Vision2020] RE: my suggestions for next school bond

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 12:09:02 PDT 2005

All:

Bill London wrote:

"The owners of undeveloped
land near that high school site would reap a financial bonanza (they would
not have to pay for development costs) and I would be helping pay for it.
Not good."

Bill, correct me if I'm wrong, but these land owners near the proposed new
high school site pay property taxes that go to support MSD, so at least in part
they would pay for the development that would happen if the proposed high
school went forward.  Besides, you are opposed to your taxes benefiting landowners
in the context of a debate on public education?  Even a remodel of the old
Moscow High School might use your tax dollars for the financial benefit of land
owners in this area of Moscow if the remodeled high school raised their
property values do to making the downtown area more of a valued destination for
shopping and business.  Would you also object to this?

I can see the logic in wanting to stop sprawl via keeping the high school
downtown, but any publicly funded construction is going to use tax dollars that
will benefit someone or some business at taxpayers expense.

Ted Moffett