[Vision2020] schools, backpacks, open campii, security guards

Dan Carscallen predator75 at moscow.com
Thu Apr 28 09:22:40 PDT 2005

this is kind of a catch-all to all that's going on prior and since
"BL-DAY" . . .

Okay, the issue failed.  I hope something comes back to at least address
the fixing up of Russell and West Park.  I'm pretty sure the voters can
swallow 4 million vs. 29 million.  Maybe the future re-alignment of
grades can be put into the plans as well.  I'm all for the 4 year HS
concept, since I recall being a freshman, kind of in limbo as to whether
you were a jr high or high school student.  Of course, that probably
can't happen without another plan for a new high school.  Maybe there
are other places out there, other than the Trail property (not that I
have anything against that spot, I thought it was a winner).  How about
in the SW corner off Palouse River Drive?  The City of Moscow looks as
if they plan on running services out there to the new park across from
the lower end of the new Arboretum, and there's room.  Just a thought .
. .

As far as backpacks at the Jr. High not being allowed in classrooms . .
. I talked to my wife about this, and from what she's heard they are
trying to encourage the kids to use their lockers rather than packing 40
lbs of books around, since I believe there has been issue with kids
lugging around said heavy packs around and back problems.  I guess
there's also been a few problems with knives and such being brandished,
so that may be another reason for lack of backpacks.

Open campus?  Not sure that's all that big an issue really.  Not as big
as some would make it out to be.  I recall having no trouble getting
thru the lunch line in time during my years at MHS, and I'm pretty sure
a school lunch is still a helluva lot cheaper than the Double Whammy
Cheese Blaster Value Meal at Wendy's.  And again, I ask, where the heck
does a student need to go during the day anyhow?  They are supposed to
be *IN SCHOOL*.  I also seem to recall downtown businesses not all that
fond of students downtown during the day.  I guess, according to some,
that's changed, but I find it hard to believe.

MHS, I believe, does have a security "guard" (for lack of a better
term).  I'm sure he's known as something else, and he eases the burden
of administrators and teachers having to chase kids back to class and
what not, letting them get back to their administratin' and teachin'
like they oughta be.  Besides, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you
don't have to worry about school security whippin' out the mace or
giving you a jolt with the taser, right?

Another "manifesto" complete . . . UnaBubba out!

DC