[Vision2020] CORRECTION #2 message from Roberta Radavich

Brent Bradberry bbradber at moscow.com
Thu Apr 28 08:32:13 PDT 2005

Here is a little historical perspective re: closed campuses. I attended
high school in Los Angeles (actually, Lynwood) when Lynwood High had an
open campus. I remember when the campus was closed - it was 1954 or '55,
during my junior year. We students were so upset that we protested about
being treated like animals in a zoo. However, after the fence went up
(and yes, I believe it was an 8-ft chain link fence), the only change
that affected me was that we had to enter and leave campus through the
gates, rather than by blazing our own trails through the grass and
shrubbery. I don't remember the gates ever being locked, or even closed
- and we certainly had no guards. One other benefit which must have
delighted the groundskeepers was that the fence ended the practice of
some of the young hot-rodders of "cutting brodies" on the lawn with
their little deuce coupes.

Brent Bradberry