[Vision2020] message from Roberta Radavich

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:33:30 PDT 2005

"Maybe you didn't dream up the closed campus part, but it certainly seems
that you dreamed up the "guards (armed?)" part.  If not, then provide us
with FACTS."--Saundra Lund

I am not defending or knocking down a flyer I have not seen. I hope others
will not either. However, I do know about this part that Saundra is bringing
up and I have attended a high school 9-12 and 10-12. Both closed and open,
in Idaho and California.

It is my understanding that the law requires security guards at every high
school now. So I do not think that part is made up. In terms of looking in
people's cars, yes that happens all the time. As soon as you had one
incident at the school of a freshman sneaking out during lunch with his
junior buddy in the car and a parent found out about it, every car would be
searched. There is no doubt about it because the law would hold the school
accountable if something happened to that 14 year old while in the care of a
15 year old off campus.

If you have a 9-12 high school you are going to have parents that DO NOT
WANT their son or daughter leaving campus in a car with a junior or senior.
And how do you regulate that?

The armed part, I do not know about that. I would be thinking maybe mace, or
a taser gun eventually. I do not think they would have guns. But they have
to have means of protecting students besides saying, "Stop that or I will
say stop that again!".

I hated the closed campus 9-12 system I attended in California. I did not
even get lunch for the first two months of school because of the closed
campus system. The lines were 30 minutes long and lunch was only 35 minutes.
Being a freshmen, we were always pushed to the back of the line. I can only
think of a few times in the first few months of school I could get my lunch
and have time to eat it too. I was not a big guy when I was 14 and size
matters when getting lunch in disorganized lines for getting food. It was
not like Shop KO lines. It was more like a mob that separated into little
lines when it got close to the windows where you ordered.

Yes, I tried to bring a lunch. But after the first day, the California sun
warmed up my sandwich into sometime uneatable as warm mayonnaise boiled and
the pop can was too hot to drink with the metal touching my lips. Oh yes,
they had a refrigerator at the school. But the line to get your sacked lunch
was the same mob line to order the slop they served on a plate.

I was finally able to get lunch only because private venders came on campus,
those metal carts with umbrella to protect them from the sun and shout
visually they where they were, and offered the worst tasting food in the
world. The line was only ten minutes. So I went there, at least the milk was
cold.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold
VERY PRO OPEN CAMPUS