[Vision2020] message from Roberta Radavich

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 27 14:25:12 PDT 2005

Oh, good grief!!!

While I agree with much of what Ms. Radavich writes & and I think she's made
some good points, I've actually seen The Flyer.  It was, IMHO, despicable
and utterly appalling, and I do hope Joan is able to get it typed up to post
so that folks can judge for themselves.

I can tell you that I attended a high school with a closed campus -- you
lose a few students a year driving to or from the (elite) high school on an
(elite) incredibly dangerous road and it's amazing how quickly folks realize
that the cost of youthful feelings of immortality shouldn't be death driving
to/from school for lunch.

Guess what??? There were NO guards, armed or other wise.  Period.  No
checking of student IDs or anything else, either.  Period.

What there *was* was the rule (closed campus) and . . . here's a novel idea:
consequences for not following the rule.

Now, I don't know what all schools do with respect to closed campus (or even
that any such local plans would materialize), but after seeing that totally
reprehensible flyer, I did take the time to call & email around to friends I
have around the country.  The *only* schools (all two of them, one in
Chicago and one in NYC) I was able to find with guards are those with *open*
campuses.

So, how responsible would it have been for me to hang out around the high
school handing out flyers stating that a new open campus would require
"guards (armed?)"?!?!?  Not very, huh?  If I were a betting person, I'd put
my money on your reaction to me having pulled a stunt like that based on
*absolutely NO facts* not being at all favorable.

As far out of line as I'd have been to do something like that, at *least* it
would have been based on something more than allowing paranoia to take over
my own worst possible spin on a *potential* closed campus.  Where are your
facts?  I don't recall any being cited with respect to guards & closed
campus on that odious piece of work.  I'm left to assume that because there
*was* no factual basis -- please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quite frankly, I find it totally IRRESPONSIBLE to toss out completely
unfounded crap like that, and to *kids*, no less!

That is lower than I'd ever dreamed I'd see local politics sink  :-(

Maybe you didn't dream up the closed campus part, but it certainly seems
that you dreamed up the "guards (armed?)" part.  If not, then provide us
with FACTS.

Furthermore, if you want to get yourselves worked up into a tizzy about
something, why not pick something real that's already here rather than
something you apparently dreamed up?  For instance, given your autonomy &
parental authority concerns, why aren't you up in arms out our community's
junior high school students not being allowed to take backpacks to class?

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke