[Vision2020] I'm pissed. Final answer.

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Wed Apr 20 09:54:25 PDT 2005

My apologies to anyone who is offended by the subject heading, but we have reached a
point where it's time to say that regardless of the rancor of some of the posts here,
there ARE some people who are trying to make sense of things, and the District leaving
Keely out here to twist in the wind to keep up is just ridiculous.  Where is our
Superintendent, whom we pay about $100,000 per year?  She should have some of
these answers.  Where is the Chair of the Board--who has been there for 13 or more
years and knows, or should, the entire history.  Who was appointed by the committee to
do PR--that's public relations, not a sales job.  Damn it, it's not fair to Keely and it is not
fair to the many, many citizens who have contributed their time to the process over the
years to come up with a plan.  Phil, I don't know if you can believe this, but there were
people on this committee with every bit the passion you have to save money and do
what's right for the whole community.  There were conservative Republican business
people, there were liberal Democrats, there were Libertarians, educators,
ARCHITECTS, attorneys, dentists, educators, financial advisors--in short a whole lot of
folks who have filtered through the committee, Board, and Staff who were/are smart,
dedicated, HAD NO AGENDA, and received NO PAY (even staff for this particular
service--it was over and above paid duties), and will receive no benefit if the bond
passes in any form.  Who is defending them?  NO ONE.  And I'm pissed about that,
because much of the "information" that is circulating on this, our only "instant" forum in
this town is just plain wrong, inaccurate, or misleading.  I suspect (from some of the
feedback I've gotten) that there are a lot of people listening and they are probably
wondering, regardless of the rhetorical, mean-spirited, irrelevant, and non-reasoned
posts, "where is the more complete explanation of this bond process?"  It appears to
me that our Superintendent turned her job over to CQE--another dedicated group of
community-minded citizens (who were represented on the Committee and Board, but all
of whom do not agree with each specific) who were not provided the necessary
information to adequately educate their fellow citizens--NOR IS IT THEIR JOB.

Whew.  Sorry for the public catharsis, but I needed to get that off my chest.

Now, Phil, for my final answer to you:
1.  The information you received about their being no architect competition is just flat
wrong.  I know that personally.  Where you can document it, I don't know.  Probably the
committee minutes.  Certainly some other committee members.
2.  There is no "estimate on repairs to the HS."  YOU have already noted that it is an
estimate to build essentially a new HS at the current location using as much as possible
existing structures.
3.  They do not HAVE to be reconfigured.  There are good educational reasons to do
so.  There are good financial reasons to do so.  There are good reasons to do so in
maintaining as much of our "neighborhood schools" concept at the elementary level.
Yes, there are also good reasons NOT to reconfigure, but considering the overall best
interests of all the constituents in the community, the committee apparently decided
we'd be best served with reconfiguration.  I happen to have studied that particular point
to my personal satisfaction and I happen to agree, although I certainly can respect the
contrary opinion.
BTW, in that regard, please don't assume you know how I'm voting or suggest I'm trying
to get you to vote differently (re. your prior comment our votes will cancel).  I'm trying to
give you the information that is woefully missing from the people I think should be
providing it.
4.  No, it isn't sinking because of the water table.  I have my opinions as to why, but I've
called out enough folks in this post.  Maybe they needed someone with your spirit and
thoughtfulness--contained by the desire to reach consensus, not offend--on the Board
or planning committee that handled that one.  Maybe we just needed a better architect
or contractor or land analyst--or all three.
5.  Read the bond proposal.  There is NO tie to the Trail dirt as you call it.  There is a
long history about just the part of the committee process trying to locate an acceptable
site if the existing site were not used.  The Trail offer is really "last minute" to the rest of
the process.  The architect had to assume certain costs of site purchase and
development (based on the research done to the time of the first cost estimate for the
whole project).  the Trails' offer gave them something more concrete from which they
could HYPOTHESIZE those costs, but they are not a NECESSARY part.

Signing off.  As Mr. Rogers would say (Roy, that is):  Happy Trails.

Mike Curley

On 19 Apr 2005 at 15:39, cjs wrote:

> Phil:
> the process of choosing the  architect didn't include, as best I
> recall, "> bid" for the high school--see Mark Seman's post.  It was
> about things like:  have you done t> his before, where, what kind of
> building, would you charge us to look into our situati> on, how
> much, etc.  "Bids" would be for the actual construction.  Check with
> the Superin> tendent or Facilities Committee Chair for further
> information on the selection proces> s of the architect.

> Phil, I was part of the conversation with the architect--if he used
> the wo> rd "directive" I won't complain about that.  But no, it
> wasn't put it writing, but it was c> ommunicated to the
> committee--and it is probably in the notes of that meeting, but I
> can'> t tell you exactly when that was--several years ago.

So Mike, if you were present and know there is no paperwork or
directive (pieces of paper) then the estimate on the repairs of the
existing HS is just a number out of thin air? The 20.5 million dollar
"estimate" and you expect the public to accept this? Sounds like a
sales pitch tool.

> the auditorium isn't horrible, but it you want it to last another 80
> years>  and hold FOUR grades, not THREE, then it might be reasonable
> to rebuild it.

Why do the school grades even have to be reconfigured? To substantiate
the sales pitch for the new HS?

> It isn't just that the high school is old, Phil. It isn't just age.
> Part > of it is sinking into the ground.  It will require MAJOR
> expense to keep it going AS A SCHOOL for th> e next 70- 100 years.
> I can't detail all the reasons here.  That's why there was a c>
> ommittee for ten years looking at the thing.  There is information
> available somewhere that>  shows WHY virtually everyone who worked
> on the committee and studied the issue agree> s that the best use of
> taxpayer money over the long haul is to do a major
> renovation/remodel/rebuild or a new high school on another site.
> Yes, the> re is disageement about "keep it downtown v. outskirts of
> town" or exactly to wh> at degree it needs to be remodeled, or if
> it's on the outskirts, is the Trail property > the best choice. But
> few who have taken the time to study it think that sinking more
> money > into the exisiting facility makes good economic sense in the
> long haul.  And most i> f not all of those people will have to help
> foot the bill for whatever is done--patch, > fix, build--and have NO
> vested interest in having a new school built.

Every tax payer has a vested interest. Every tenant has a vested
interest. Every student has a vested interest. If it is sinking is it
because our water tables continue to drop? Last night city hall
approved 7 new ball fields that are going to need watering by city
water which is going to drop our water table even more. Sorry I got
out of content. Just had to tell ya.

> The architect has done a great deal for free, whether ALL of it has
> been f> ree I don't know.  For example, have we paid for a plane
> ticket to come to Moscow--out>  of pocket expenses of other sorts?
> I don' t know.

Mike - good question. How do I properly ask the right authority this
question? What about the architects motel room and food? Is this
public information? It should be if I am paying for it.

> This BOND (it isn't a levy folks just to keep the terminology
> straight) IS>  NOT TIED TO THE TRAIL PROPERTY.  I said that once
> before.  Whether we buy MORE land by>  the existing facility (and
> rebuild/remodel it) does not reduce the cost of reb> uilding.  It
> just increases it.  Maybe that's a good idea, but again, it doesn't
> seem to hav> e anything to do with whether the exisiting facility is
> adequate for educational purpose> s right now or about what makes
> the best long-term economic sense for the taxpayers.

If the Trail dirt is not tied to this levy/bond then why does all the
information I read talk about "a new high school on the Trail land?"
Seriously Mike. Look at your information from the open house. If the
trail property was not tied to this bond/levy then why are the four
tracts not mentioning a rebuild of the existing HS? Where and how did
the 29 million dollar figure come about if the Trail dirt was not
taken into consideration. In other words the 29 million includes what
we have to do to streets, etc. in conjunction w/the Trail "gift."

> I don't know where you get your information, but a quality facility
> can be>  built for $20M. Sure, if we put in sueded leather chairs
> for the students and pay what the>  military pays for a screwdriver,
> we might not get all the goodies we otherwise could.  B> ut the
> contractor will bid the project and will know that we have $20 M and
> that'> s it.  Just like if you were building a new building.  Tell
> you what.  If the bond passes--or > one in the future, volunteer
> your time for the committee that will submit the constru> ction RFP
> and review the responses.  They will welcome your tough-minded,
> tight-fisted a> pproach to the use of the community/taxpayer money
> for the benefit of the children.

You bet Mike. Please keep me informed.

> Thanks for the reasoned reply.  I really appreciate it.  And, thanks
> for t> he invite.  I want to be sure to order the friendly beer
> though.  I assume you must have some>  "unfriendly" beer as well as
> the "political" beer.  Don't want either of those.

Well, Dear friend, looks like Jack is the answer. Tangle Ridge is my
favorite.

Thanks good buddy,
Phil