[Vision2020] bid breakdown of construction costs

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Tue Apr 19 09:57:19 PDT 2005

Phil, et al;
I feel a need to chime in here for a bit to provide some clarification on
terminology being tossed about.  Architects often develop "opinions of
probable costs" or "cost estimates" - very, very rarely do we have anything
to do with developing "bids."  To lay people this may seem like a minor
issue, but when using any industry lingo, nuances are inherent within the
language and to be on the same page, people need to use & understand the
same terminology.  To me, a "bid" are very different from a "cost estimate"
or an "opinion of probable cost."

"Construction costs" are those direct costs of permits, landfill/disposal,
materials, labor and equipment to build a facility.  "Project costs" will
include "construction costs" and many other costs - potentially:
architectural & engineering (A/E) fees, land acquisition, legal fees, soils
testing, etc.

Also, on an earlier post you were seeking info on the "directive" given to
the architect for the HS remodel.  You are right that a "scope of work"
would have been defined so quality and quantity could be reasonably known
and an "opinion of probable cost" or a "cost estimate" could then be
developed.  I think you were interested in how the "scope of work" was
defined.

Mark

Mark Seman, Architect
Heather Seman, Landscape Architect
1404 East 'F' Street  Moscow, Idaho 83843
v 208-883-3276 / f 208-883-0112