[Vision2020] Bond Levy for New University Of Idaho

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:20:15 PDT 2005

Don,

I am aware that most the things I said about the Bond are true, that is why
I put them in there. But I know it is not possible to replace the entire
University and fix all of our problems with $500 Million.

I think Mr. Huskey if you disagree with the bond you should vote against it.
The plan is not a good one and it ignores 3/4 of the problems.

I agree that we should not remodel West Park and Russell, we should replace
them.

Here is what I would do.
1) Build a new Elementary to replace Russell on Joseph St., and replace West
Park on the same site but bigger.

2) I would knock down the HS 1968 annex and replace it with a new three
story building with state of the art science lab, Disability Resource Room,
expanded cafeteria, media center and make the area in front of the
Auditorium the main formal entrance.

3) I would make renovations to the rest of the HS and Lena Whitmore. Then I
would make additions to McDonald and MJHS along with any renovations.

4) I would build a new Alternative High School, probably on a corner of the
Joseph St. lot. This would also include the vocational and technology shops
and take them out of the current High School to make more room.

5) I would turn the entire area including 5th street from Van Buren down
into a giant parking lot with the county court house.

6) I would restructure the grade system as follows.

Elementary K-6
Junior High 6-9
High School 9-12

I would allow parents, based on availability of space, to move their child
to the next level or school based on the individual child's development.

If a child is ready to move to the Junior High in sixth grade, they can. If
they are not, they can stay in the elementary setting. Which every is better
for that child.

Same goes with the High School. Some 9th grades are ready, other are not.

Even if this plan was more expensive, at least it would not be throwing
money down the gutter or giving people a half-finished High School and
remodeling two buildings that should be retired.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold