[Vision2020] Bond Levy for New University Of Idaho

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 23:28:02 PDT 2005

I figure if the High School is going to get the bling bling for being built
in 1939 why not build a new University too on the backs of the Moscow
Residents? UI was established in 1889 and we need to stop the band-aid
approach to fixing it. Using the same logic and compromises made by the
Moscow School District I, along with the help of others, have come up with
the following proposal.

PROPOSED BOND LEVY:

COST: $500,000,000.00

CONSTRUCTION: A NEW UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO

LOCATION OF PROPOSED SITE: VIOLA

5000 acres of marsh land have been donated by a local resident if the
University of Idaho purchases 1000 acres for fair market value, or $20,000
an acre,
of this marsh land. All of the 25,000 acres will be rezoned to R1, 2 and 3
and 4, all built to residential, all with beautiful views of the "new"
University..... down in the swamp. The new Lionel Hampton section of the
building will be built in a hollow to create state of the art acoustics. The
moat that goes all the way around the entire school will double as a
security zone buffer in place of an 8ft fence.

Reasons to build a new University:

1) The University is really old. It was built in 1889. Many of the buildings
make funny noises and the floors creek.  The heating does not work properly
and there is no air-conditioning. It is also not ADA friendly.

2) The University is overcrowded. Yes, it has been losing population but
many new state and federal requirements have been added since 1889. In
addition it must meet accreditation standards. We also assume a 5% annual
increase in growth based on the curvature of the Earth and the future
orbital pattern of Neptune. When Venus aligns with Jupiter we will have a
1.5% growth rate.

3) There is not enough parking. Students, faculty and staff have to walk up
to ½ a mile to get to class. The new site will be one giant parking lot with
a big building in the middle. This new university will give everyone not
only their own parking space, but a separate door they can enter so they do
not have to walk any distance. The addition of marsh land will allow
students the
option of paddling to class and fly fishing to meet their PE elective
requirement. It is also equipped with a continuous running escalator with
door to door service for students taking the bus.

4) State of the art technology is hard to run in a building that is almost
100 years old. The University of Idaho is rated number one in the west for
being the most wired campus. How can the University compete on the national
level if we have old buildings not designed to house computers?

5) More room for physical education. College kids are getting fat. Adults
are getting fat. Even I am fat. We are all getting fat. We need more PE
fields and a new University would provide us with those facilities.

6) Everybody would win in this plan. After we build the new University we
can move the High School kids into the old University. We then move the
Junior High students into the old high school. That would free up the Junior
High so we could move the McDonald Elementary students to the Junior High.
With that building open we can move Russell students into McDonald and began
construction and renovation on Russell. We have to do it this way because
where else are we going to put the kids while we fix the old school.

7) With moving the entire Freshman Class of WSU to UI we will not have
enough room at the old University.

8) If anyone that opposes this plan it is because they do not understand it
or do not care about kids.

9) Finally, it will only cost you about $15.23* a month.

Support Higher Education! Vote YES FOR KIDS!

* assumes the following conditions:

You do not have a home that is worth more than $100,000. You do not qualify
for food stamps, mother’s last name has a b in it, you never tested positive
for any STDs, you get a 50% exemption on your home, you only live in it on
Fridays and never have been arrested or convicted of a crime, grandmother on
your paternal side is named Bertha, and you bought your home on a Thursday
before September 1956, using an interest rate of .040847393% for 9000
months.(Refer to your old tax statement for details).

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold