[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (April 15, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 15 11:05:13 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President White for
April 15, 2005.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends April 15, 2005

Dear Friends,

It's a busy April on the University of Idaho campus, and one of our
wonderful signature events begins Sunday. This year's Borah Symposium brings
"Voices of Peace" to campus. It will be a thoughtful, inspiring four-day
examination of humanitarianism worldwide. Eight sessions are scheduled,
including an interreligious panel discussion on transforming faith into
humanitarian action. We also will be privileged to hear Nobel Peace Laureate
Jody Williams speak on individual peacemaking efforts.
Williams is one of only 10 women to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.

Next week I'll be in Pocatello for another State Board of Education meeting.
ASUI President Autumn Hanson and I will present the University's request for
a 9.25 percent fee increase for 2005-06. Student leaders have been
instrumental in the development of a fee increase proposal that has student
support. The University also will present to the State Board a new
organizational structure for the University of Idaho Foundation. Both of
these issues are critical elements for the success of the University's Plan
for Renewal.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:
* Engineering students returned from the annual American Society of
Mechanical Engineers Regional Student Conference in Lacey, Wash. with top
honors in a variety of categories. The UI student group was recognized as
the Outstanding Student Section in ASME Region VIII.
Three mechanical engineering students won awards for design projects:
Rory Olson of Spirit Lake won first place in the poster competition; Chris
Hallock of Coeur d'Alene took first place in Web page projects; and Phil
Arpke of Idaho Falls was awarded fifth place in technical presentations.

* The University of Idaho is seeking public input to the National Collegiate
Athletic Association Athletics Certification Self-Study Report recently
drafted by several committees comprised of students, faculty and staff. The
report is available on the Web at www.ncaa-cert.uidaho.edu by clicking on
"Draft Self-Study Report." Comments are due back to the steering committee
by May 6. The self-study, which is a new requirement of the NCAA, covers
areas such as academic integrity, governance and commitment to rules
compliance, equity and student-athlete welfare.

* Bill Stoneman, University of Idaho alumnus, former major league baseball
pitcher and current vice president and general manager of Angels Baseball,
is laying the foundation for a $75,000 scholarship endowment for physical
education majors. Stoneman and his wife, Diane, contributed $25,000 to the
endowment and agreed to match up to another $25,000. The Physical Education,
Sport Science, and Health Club (PESSHA) launched a campaign to raise the
match. The collective power of giving plus leveraging a dollar-for-dollar
match makes this a wonderful opportunity to make a difference to UI
students. Please accept the challenge and help us create a new scholarship.
"The University played a huge part in everything in my life that followed
graduation. I hope other Vandal alums feel the same way about the University
and will join me in giving something back," said Stoneman.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Hog Haven, Idaho

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy