[Vision2020] Brand Spanking New

Shelly CJs at Turbonet.com
Thu Apr 14 22:25:39 PDT 2005

Visioneers,

I went to the school districts office today and asked for a copy of the cost
estimate worksheet of $20,500,000.00 retro fit on the existing High School.
You know the flyer we all got at the open house.

I was told by the district, "all I know is about a $400,000.00 retro fit."

http://www.sd281.k12.id.us/facilities/04-09-27ArchitectsCostEst.pdf

This link is to: The Facilities Planning Committee Summary of Cost Estimates
 dated 9-27-04 which indeed states a "remodel" of the existing High School
to encompass 900 students at a cost estimate of: $20,500,000.00. Now, to me
this seems awfully high when you can build a brand spanking new high school
on 40 acres to encompass 900 students for only $23,400,000.00. So, I checked
further and found that the reason the "remodel" is so close to the "brand
spanking new high school on 40 acres is because the architect was instructed
by the school district to bid it as though it were equivalent to a brand new
spanking HS. NOT A REMODEL. Kindda like, "so, bid it as though it were brand
spanking new." In other words it was a "directive" from the Facilites
Committee that they are to bid the existing HS "equivalent" to a brand
spanking new HS.

Architect:
I take any question that you might have and give you the backup info you need for why we did it that way. It was a comparative analysis – directive by the FPC. What are we going to do at the existing HS is the equivalent at a new school. So equivalency to a new HS – as if a brand new auditorium. So all aspects were developed under that notion. If the FPC or Trustees want us to downgrade, we can do that.