[Vision2020] The History of Moscow High School

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:40:55 PDT 2005

I read Mr. Weisel’s opinion in the DN the other day. I really liked that guy
when I was in school. Most people did. But I was surprised when he said the
school was built in 1936. I would tend to think that a government and
history teacher would get that one right. Construction began on the High
School in 1939. Moscow used state funds to build it. In 1939 the Idaho State
Legislature passed a state wide levy tax in which the revenues were to be
used only for education. Since Moscow only had two schools it build a third.
Moscow would not have been able to afford a new high school all on its own
back in 1939. In 1936 Idaho was receiving the fourth largest amount of money
from FDR’s Public Works Administration (PWA). However, very little of that
money was used for education purposes in Idaho like it was in other states
in the west. I believe that Moscow should do what previous residents had
done, wait for federal or state assistance to build a new building.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold