[Vision2020] With gas at $2.50 a gallon it is time to cut Crosswalknumbers

Kit Craine kcraine at moscow.com
Tue Apr 12 10:02:38 PDT 2005

Just a short clarification on the Driver’s Manual, which simplified the
code a tad [emphasis added]. In Idaho law, the terms “highway” and
“street” mean the same thing.

Idaho Statutes
TITLE  49 MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7 PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-702.  PEDESTRIANS' RIGHT-OF-WAY IN CROSSWALKS.

(1) When traffic-control signals are not in place or not in operation
the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or
stopping, if need be, to yield to a pedestrian crossing the highway
within a crosswalk. [Notice, it requires crossing, not just standing at
the curb.]

(2)  No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety
and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close as to
constitute an immediate hazard. [The constitute an immediate hazard is
the same language that is used for vehicles at stop signs.]

(3)  Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply under the
conditions stated in section 49-704(2), Idaho Code.

(4)  Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at an
unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross
the highway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear
shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.      (5)  Except where
otherwise indicated by a crosswalk or other traffic-control devices a
pedestrian shall cross the highway at right angles to the curb or by
the shortest route to the opposite curb.

TITLE  49 MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7 PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-704.  CROSSING AT OTHER THAN CROSSWALKS.

(1) Every pedestrian crossing a highway at any point other than within
a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection
shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the highway.

(2)  Any pedestrian crossing a highway at a point where a pedestrian
tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield
the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the highway.

(3)  Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals
are in operation, pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a
marked crosswalk.

(4)  No pedestrian shall cross a highway intersection diagonally unless
authorized by traffic-control devices. When authorized to cross
diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the
traffic-control devices pertaining to crossing movements.

Idaho Statutes
TITLE  49 MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 8 SIGNS, SIGNALS AND MARKINGS
49-803.  PEDESTRIAN-CONTROL SIGNALS.

Whenever a pedestrian-control signal showing the words "Walk" or "Wait"
  or "Don't Walk" is in place, the signal shall indicate the following:

(1)  Flashing or Steady "Walk". A pedestrian facing the signal may
proceed across the highway in the direction of the signal, but shall
yield the right-of-way to vehicles lawfully within the intersection at
the time the signal is first shown.

(2)  Flashing or Steady "Don't Walk" or "Wait".  No pedestrian shall
start to cross the highway in the direction of the signal, but any
pedestrian who has partially completed crossing shall proceed to a
sidewalk or safety island while the "Don't Walk" or "Wait" signal is
showing.

I think everyone would be safer if everyone obeyed these laws, rather
than the rumors.

Kit Craine