[Vision2020] The Price of Gas

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 21:59:41 PDT 2005

Mr. Harkins,

Yes, the gas price at the pump is a problem. But it is not the costs of
mileage that hurts us the most. It is that costs go up for everything when
oil goes up. Think about how a product is made and gets to you and how much
oil it uses.

The product might be made out of oil, like plastic
The product in made in a plant that uses oil for lighting and energy to run
the plant
It is wrapped in plastic made out of oil
It is shipped on a boat to the US that uses oil to get here
It is then loaded on a truck that uses oil to get the store
The store then uses oil to light the building
You then use oil to go to the store to buy the product
THe workers use oil to get to work and live
The computers that manage the product use oil

All these steps use oil and the cost of making and the costs are pasted on
to the buyer.

It is these factors that drive prices up on everything. The $15 at the pump
per month is not the major problem for the majority of people. It is the
cost of everything going up at once that is the problem. What is worse is
that right now there are no clear and affordable alternative to oil. Our
technology in this area has been suppressed largely in part by oil
production companies.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold