[Vision2020] Buildings old and new + taxes

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Mon Apr 11 09:29:52 PDT 2005

Mark and Debbie raise some interesting points for all to consider.  At the
County level, there are many of us that have concerns about the proposed
zoning standards for home occupations.  Again, it is that focus on
preventing "negative" activities rather than encouraging "positive" growth
that drives the regulatory machine.

One element that needs to be brought into the equation - we really need to
focus on those businesses that add value to products and services which are
then exported out of the county.  Bringing in new dollars is the only means
of growth that will enhance our ability to have  a sustained economic
base.  If we can achieve this, goods and service businesses that serve the
local market will prosper as well.

Finally, while everyone considers the pros and cons of big box stores,
please remember that they are only a means of distributing goods (produced
elsewhere) to the local consumer.  It is interesting to note that a lot of
the discussion has focused on comparing Walmart, Home Depot, Costco, etc.
with Tri State, Moscow Building Supply and JJ Building Supply.  At one
level, they are all "big box stores".  Remember, Tri-State is tied to the
Ace Hardware Supply network (a mega distributor), Spence Hardware is tied
to the True Value Distributor system, Moscow Building Supply is tied to the
"Do It Best" distribution system.  All of these "distribution" models are a
means of competing for your retail dollar and are necessary to lower the
costs of acquiring goods at volume discounts - so that you can benefit by
lower costs.  WalMart, the nations largest retailer, has simply done a
better job of managing the distribution system.

Markets run best when demand is the driving force for the operation of the
market.  An unfettered demand (that invisible hand) will allocate goods and
services to their appropriate values.  For those that fear the appearance
of "new" box stores, they should put their fears at rest.  If the box store
is serving the needs of the market, it will survive.  If it doesn't serve
the interests of the consumer, it won't.  Even in Moscow, we have had the
box stores come and go - Ernst, K-Mart, Lamont's, "big" style Sears, even
Tidyman's.

Just as we should not regulate consumers who are willing to pay more than
going price for a good or service, we should not prevent consumers from
seeking the lowest possible price.  This thinking is a cornerstone of free
enterprise - and if consumers do their part (ponder carefully their
consumption decisions) the market will operate appropriately.  Resources
will find their way to their highest valued use.