[Vision2020] assistant football coach/"disturbing the peace"

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Sun Apr 10 22:00:14 PDT 2005

Tom

All I can think of in response to your odd email is... 'WHU???'

I am not embellishing facts or spreading rumors, that is exactly what
happened. I am not trying to lead people to believe something that didn't
occur. He waived a gun at a student in downtown Moscow. He wasn't
convicted of this crime because it was simply dropped in a plea bargain
where he plead guilty to maliciously disturbing the peace. Lots of things
get plead down to disturbing the peace, it's kind of a catch all for a lot
of criminal activity. This doesn't nullify what he did. Yes he served his
'criminal sentence' and paid his debt to society. That is a legal
matter. Now as a personnel issue, I think the
university owes more to its employees and students and parents of students
than the reaction they gave to this employee. He received nothing as
punishment by his employer. Not 5 minutes off. Not a stern letter of
reprimend. Not a 'frowny face' sticker on his paycheck. Nothing.

That's fine if you don't see a problem with that (but can see a conspiracy
in everything else to do with the UofI--turf/budget/NSA trinity fest/etc
yada yada, but I am very disappointed by their lack of response to this
serious action.

How would you feel if that student had been your son or daughter or wife??
What would you do if an employee of yours participated in such behavior
with a member of your clientele? What if, GASP, a NSA student or educator
did such a thing???

Confused,

Debbie

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Tom Hansen wrote:

> >From Friday's UI Argonaut -
>
> Before rumors spread and people run off at the mouth, let's read the
> article, ok?
>
> There is obviously a lot more to it than Ms. Gray would like you to believe.
> For one thing, the review committee consisted of three members (none of
> which were from the Athletic Department).

Debbie

  Debbie Gray      dgray at uidaho.edu
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
  so as to have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell