[Vision2020] big-box stores in Moscow?

Bill London london at moscow.com
Fri Apr 8 15:11:51 PDT 2005

Is there a big-box store (like a Walmart SuperCenter) in Moscow's future?
Can Moscow learn from the experiences of other towns that are facing the
construction of these huge stores?
Here's some info on those topics from the Hometown Advantage Bulletin.... BL

> >The Hometown Advantage Bulletin
> >Issue #26 - April 2005
> >

> >News:
> >
> >Apr. 7, 2005
> ><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfRZ8b2UJSpe/>Wal-Mart
> >Money Trumps Land Use Process in Bennington, Vermont
> >Wal-Mart and an Ohio developer spent heavily and attacked opponents as
> >wealthy elites in a successful campaign to overturn a new law governing
> >large-scale retail stores in the town of Bennington, Vermont.
>
><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfRZ8b2UJSpe/>http://www.n
ewrules.org/retail/news_slug.php?slugid=293

> >Apr. 7, 2005
>
><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfRZ9b2UJSpe/>Philadelphia
> >Weighs "Predatory Superstore" Law
> >A proposed ordinance would bar "predatory superstores" from locating
> >within the city.
>
><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfRZ9b2UJSpe/>http://www.n
ewrules.org/retail/news_slug.php?slugid=294

> >Apr. 7, 2005
> ><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0ab2UJSpe/>Maryland
> >Legislature Passes Wal-Mart Health Care Bill
> >Wal-Mart has threatened to stop expanding in Maryland should a measure
> >requiring it to spend more on employee health care become law.
>
><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0ab2UJSpe/>http://www.n
ewrules.org/retail/news_slug.php?slugid=295

> >Apr. 4, 2005
> ><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0bb2UJSpe/>Madison
> >Limits Footprint of Big-Box Stores
> >After two years of consideration, the Madison City Council has adopted a
> >measure limiting the footprint of retail buildings to 100,000 square
feet.
> >Some local business owners and members of the council had hoped for
> >stronger standards, but they say the new ordinance is a step in the right
> >direction.
>
><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0bb2UJSpe/>http://www.n
ewrules.org/retail/news_slug.php?slugid=292

> >Mar. 28, 2005
> ><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0cb2UJSpe/>Keeping
> >Louisville Weird
> >A gorilla marketing campaign aimed at countering chain store expansion
has
> >captured the attention of the public and the media, and led more than 100
> >independent businesses to form an alliance in Louisville, Kentucky.
>
><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0cb2UJSpe/>http://www.n
ewrules.org/retail/news_slug.php?slugid=291

> >Resources:
> >
> ><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0db2UJSpe/>What
> >Studies Show about Wal-Mart and Big-Box Retail
> >We recently updated and expanded our list of studies that examine such
> >questions as: Does Wal-Mart create jobs? Do big-box stores boost the tax
> >base? Do independent stores benefit the local economy more than chains?
> >Organized by category, with summaries and links.
> >

> >Upcoming Events:
> >
> ><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0eb2UJSpe/>Good Jobs
> >First Conference
> >Baltimore, May 11-13
> >There's a full track on Wal-Mart. Many excellent groups will be leading
> >educational sessions. The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) will
be
> >covering big-box regulation.
> >
> ><http://home-town-advantage.c.topica.com/maadnRRabfR0fb2UJSpe/>Will
> >Wal-Mart Eat Britain?
> >London, May 26
> >ILSR's Stacy Mitchell will be giving a talk sponsored by the New
Economics