[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (April 8, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 8 05:29:34 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President White for
April 8, 2005.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

April 8, 2005

Dear Friends,

I wish to share another inspiring story of two University of Idaho students
by recognizing and congratulating Jack Grow of Colorado Springs and Ted
Yamamoto of Caldwell. These young scholars have been selected to receive
national Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships to help them pursue their interests
in geology and microbiology. The Goldwater scholarships provide students
with $7,500 a year to help them pursue advanced degrees and careers in
science and engineering. Jack and Ted were the only two Idaho recipients
among 320 students chosen nationwide. They join Bryan Haney of Eagle, a UI
senior in chemical engineering who studied as a Goldwater Scholar this year.
The trio is among the nine UI students who have won the scholarship during
the last six years.

This is a remarkable record of achievement for our University.
Competition for these prestigious national scholarships is intense and the
success of our students exemplifies the quality of both students and faculty
at the University of Idaho.

Next Friday, April 15, we will celebrate the outstanding academic
achievements of many other of our students. The annual Honors Convocation
takes place at 3 p.m. in Memorial Gym and more than 3,000 students will be
recognized. I look forward to taking part in the ceremony to congratulate
our remarkable students.

When I think of these student accomplishments, and the faculty strength that
has helped inform and guide them, it is little wonder why I come back to
three words that embody the University of Idaho - ideas, innovation, and
inspiration.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

* The high, dry valleys of Antarctica are the features on Earth most similar
to Mars, say two University of Idaho geologists who joined a National
Science Foundation workshop earlier this year in Antarctica to study the
Earth's crust. Dennis Geist, geological sciences department chairman, and
Simon Kattenhorn, an associate professor of geology, joined a 30-member
international team in Antarctica early this year to study the volcanic
processes that shaped the continent 180 million years ago. A parallel, Geist
said, would be viewing the rocks a mile below Idaho's Craters of the Moon,
or two or three miles beneath Pasco, Wash.

* Dean of Students Bruce Pitman was honored yesterday as part of Silver and
Gold Day. The Student Alumni Relations Board (SArb) planted a Sun Valley
maple on the north side of the Administration Lawn to recognize Pitman's
devotion to students. "SArb chose Pitman because of his length of service to
UI and his gift for touching the lives of countless students," said Kristy
Mayer, SArb adviser. "There are many students who can give a personal
account of interactions with Bruce that somehow changed their lives for the
better." Silver and Gold Day celebrates the founding of the UI Alumni
Association.

* Last spring, the University of Idaho asked alumni to support the Plant a
Seed Campaign for access and retention scholarships. These funds help the
University pursue its mission to provide access to higher education as well
as recruit and retain the best and the brightest from Idaho and beyond. In
just the first year, our loyal and generous alumni contributed more than
$58,000 to establish two permanent endowments. These scholarships will be
distributed for the first time in fall 2006.  Thank you for making the Plant
a Seed Campaign such a success and please consider a gift in support of
student scholarships this spring.  You can support any area of the
University at https://www.sites.uidaho.edu/gifts/.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Hog Haven, Idaho

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy