[Vision2020] attention Dave Trail

Kai Eiselein editor at lataheagle.com
Thu Apr 7 10:17:29 PDT 2005

Donovan,

I haven't been out that way since last winter, but my guess is what you saw
burned were draws and edges, not fields. Wheat fields generally don't get
burned. Bluegrass does. I farmed with my inlaws for several years and we
only burned a wheat field once and that took a permit. The reason we burned
it? It was ground that we just aquired and it so foul with noxious weeds
that burning was the best way to start controling them.
The wind generally blows west here. The remaining ground is generally west
of the site, so dust would generaly drift away from the school. The worst
period for dust and chaff is during harvest, which is usually over before
school starts in the fall.
People love the beauty of farmland, but they hate the dust, noise and
everything else that goes along with it.

Kai T. Eiselein
Editor
Latah Eagle
521 S. Jackson St.