[Vision2020] North Carolina takes it all!

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue Apr 5 09:47:59 PDT 2005

OK.  That's it.

The Chapel Hill Gang wins a title and gets Roy Williams his first NCAA Men's Basketball Championship.  They sneak ahead of Duke, by four championships to three, to compound a bad situation.  And then, a Wolfpack alum feels the need to celebrate the UNC title AND denigrate my Blue Devils?!!!

Joan, Joan, Joan.

Have you forgotten that the Tar Heels would smugly refer to themselves as THE University of North Carolina and cheer "if you can't go to college, go to State"?  How many times did you gag over that pitiful, pastel, baby blue, UNC color that overruns the entire state, in t-shirts from the Beach to the mountains and every mall and BBQ joint in between?  Why feed Tar Heel Nation's mistaken sense of superiority?  Have you forgotten that infernal bumper sticker on every other motor vehicle in the state:  "If This Isn't Heaven, Why did God make the Sky Carolina Blue?"

You cheer a victory for the "Home state," but say a Duke championship would be the "worst" thing?  Are not my Devils the third point in the Triangle (Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill, all within 20 miles or less of each other, for you northwesterners), and also within your "home state"?  Like Jimmy V, we Dukies are just looking for a hug, too.

Sure, Duke imported a few Yankees for diversity, "damn Yankees," as my NC-native roomie referred to me on more than one occasion.  SOMEBODY had to compete with the Tar Heels and give them a sense of humility, since the Wolf Pack wouldn't.  Is this unwarranted, spiteful attack on my Devils just a result of pent up frustration from Duke beating NC State like a drum for 20 years?

You Cracker.

Taking the Bait and Swallowing the Hook,

Bruce Livingston