[Vision2020] 1912 Levy Issues

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Mon Apr 4 09:30:55 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries,

Janice Willard has shared a considerable amount of personal information
about her children's challenges here on the list, and I certainly sympathize
with her family in their struggles.  But I have to wonder how germane they
are to the topic of the upcoming levy.  It's not as if there's a pool of
money out there that we can choose to spend any way we wish, and for
inexplicable reasons the district has decided to fritter it away on new
buildings and renovations instead of textbooks and special ed teachers, or
on highway bridges and affordable housing.  The issues are entirely
separate.

Our schools--in particular the two elementary schools included in the bond,
Russell School and West Park--are in dire need of attention.  We've chosen
not to attend to them as fully as they needed for many, many years.  Now
we're faced with a difficult, even painful decision.  Do we provide adequate
facilities for our elementary school students, facilities which meet state
and Federal guidelines for school safety and accessibility, facilities which
provide, say, wiring for the computers which are no longer optional (state
testing requirements alone drive that need!), which have adequate room for
the kind of learning we want our kids to have?  Or do we wait for a levy
which suits us better than the current proposal, hoping that we'll muster
the political will to bring in a new levy after some years of a drop in
property tax bills?

I have been deeply frustrated by the facilities process, which I believe has
been less than effective, if not counterproductive.  The timing is less than
ideal.  The proposal on the table is not my dream proposal.  I have a
profound emotional attachment to the notion of a downtown high school.  When
I hear "big new high school on the outskirts of town," I think Columbine,
frankly, and my parental heart panics.  I'm not crazy about a four-year high
school or a 6-8 middle school.  I want bigger libraries and music
facilities, and I don't give a damn about the state of the playing fields or
the locker-rooms.

But I also recognize that the task of the district is not to make Melynda
Huskey perfectly happy or to meet her every need.  While I'd like to believe
that the sheer force and bravura of my massive intellect makes me an expert
on every subject just because I've turned my attention to it--that's not the
case (as I'm sure you've noticed).  I don't believe that the District has
anything to gain from pushing a bad levy, and I don't think they'd do it.  I
think this is the best proposal they've got, and it behooves me to think it
over very carefully, taking my personal preferences out of the equation
where I can see that they are only my preferences and not moral imperatives.

I don't know how I'll vote.  I'm still thinking.  But I want to be sure I'm
thinking clearly before I decide.

Melynda Huskey