[Spam] [Vision2020] 1912 Levy Issues

Shelly CJs at Turbonet.com
Sat Apr 2 16:55:47 PST 2005

Tim,

I am pleased to see that the University "our tax dollars" are being used at
a fine facility I must add. When I was in High School, we did not have wall
climbing, fly fishing, in line hockey, biking, camping, but we did have a
tennis court. You asked me about a primer climbing wall. We never had a wall
to climb. These are luxury's in my book. We did it the old fashion way. Sit
ups, push ups, jumping jacks, squats, running in place and running around
the neighborhood. Do other High Schools offer all these fine classes?

Regarding "physical activity" you are only bussing them less than a mile I
think. Just think if they "walked" they would have their 150 minutes in
physical activity. Then there would be no expense for gas.

If you really want a new High School it could be funded if the University
was forced to pay taxes on everything it has taken off the rolls. Forget
what they say about "portions" being paid. I pay it all. They should pay it
all. Don't raise our citizen taxes any higher. Make the state or the
University pay for the new High School.

Phil

-------Original Message-------

From: Timothy Rigsby
Date: 04/02/05 16:07:57
To: vision2020 at moscow.com
Subject: [Spam] [Vision2020] 1912 Levy Issues

Phil:

I don't know about the downfalls of the science lab, but I do know that if
the
science lab is not up to par, it is not the only facility at MHS that would
fall
into this category.

The Physical Education Department, for whom I have worked extensively with
this
school year, is lacking proper and safe facilities as well.  Ms. Karla
Harman
busses her students to the University of Idaho Tuesday-Friday to participate
in Outdoor Education classes.  Ms. Harman’s students receive instruction on
Wall Climbing, Fly Fishing, Inline Hockey, Biking, Camping, and Racquet
Sports to
name a few activities.  I doubt very seriously that even with a remodel of
the
1912 center, that these activities could take place in the remodeled space.
Would
you be willing to let students play inline hockey at CJ’s instead of
building a
new building?

Not only is Ms. Harman taking her students off campus, but Mr. Amos and Ms.
Barnes
are as well.  Bussing students off campus takes away from the student’s
activity time.  According to the governing authority of Physical Education,
NASPE, students should receive a minimum of 150 minutes per week in vigorous
physical activity.  By bussing students, we are cutting their classroom time
about 35 or 40 minutes per day.  Once you figure instruction or
demonstration
and introduction of new skills, the students may only get about 20 to 25
minutes
of vigorous activity time.  100 minutes per week is nowhere near the NASPE
standard
of 150 minutes.

Considering that Unleaded gas is running $2.19 today per gallon and diesel
is
sitting right around $2.70, so I hear, I think that building this new school
would help cut down considerably on the fuel cost to bus these students to
far
off playing fields and gymnasiums.

If this bond passes, and I hope to hell it will, the students will more than
likely not have to be bussed daily off campus to participate in activity
classes.  Granted, in order for wall climbing to take place, they will still
get bussed to UI, but this unit is typically only three weeks with the
students
bussed a maximum of 15 times.  When you were in school Phil, were you
climbing up
a premier climbing wall, learning to fly fish, or playing games such as
Omnikin
Ball or Pickleball?  You probably don’t even know what Pickleball or Kin
ball are
do you?  Students at MHS have one heck of a physical education program and
are extremely fortunate to have what little facilities they have as is.
Giving
these students a new school that is light years ahead of where they are now
will
not only help the morale of the students but also will help further the
educational opportunities these students are missing out on.

Tim Rigsby
Student, University of Idaho
College of Education
Physical Education, School & Community Health Education, and Sport Science

  List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

--

.