[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (April 1, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 1 05:37:54 PST 2005

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President White for
April 1, 2005.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

April 1, 2005

Dear Friends,

Last Friday, we had an unanticipated and welcome increase in the number of
students and parents who attended Vandal Friday. We expected 1800
individuals, yet well over 2100 spent 2-3 days here!  Vandal Friday is a
special day where we showcase all our academic and student life
opportunities to prospective students and their families, and allow for
on-the-spot registration for fall classes, living arrangements, etc. This
unprecedented success means that word of the "University of Idaho
Advantage", which is conferred upon our students and worldwide alumni
network, is re-emerging...I couldn't be more pleased.

By now, most of you are aware from the comprehensive "top of the news" media
coverage around the state that on Monday I announced specific actions to
reduce next year's budget by $4.75 million, completing Phase 1 of a 3-phase
process to transform the university. A balanced budget is a requirement for
prudent management and a strong future at the University of Idaho, but it
didn't make eliminating 67 positions any easier. Of the 67 positions to be
cut, 27 currently have employees in them, mostly in facilities and
administrative positions.

We have taken great care to absolutely minimize the impact of these cuts on
our academic core missions of instruction/learning, research/creativity, and
engagement through outreach. Also "protected" are areas of health, safety,
and the university's vital financial and business systems.

This is a painful but regrettably necessary process. Every employee here is
a valued contributor to the success of the University of Idaho. We're doing
all we can to help our co-workers who will lose employment at the end of
this fiscal year, and also those who remain and are confronted with
absorbing responsibilities for critical services that need to be provided to
our students, faculty, staff and stakeholders. The Office of Human Resources
is coordinating a variety of outplacement assistance efforts, including job
search workshops, customized training workshops, entrepreneurship training,
work/life counseling, and debt/financing counseling, among other services.

And so even in difficult times, the University of Idaho exhibits its heart
and soul, as well as its intellect.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

* The Native American Student Association hosted a dedication ceremony
Thursday for the new Native American Student Center, located on campus at
Seventh and Line streets. The event coincided with the first Vandal Native
College Tour Day for Native American high school seniors or entering
freshman to the University of Idaho.

* The University of Idaho President's Circle is thankful for the 1,125
members who support our institution with annual gifts of $1,000 and more.
Each member has made an impact on the lives of our students, faculty and
staff by supporting scholarships, research and facilities. Loyal President's
Circle members Wendell and Jessie Satre of Spokane, Wash., believe in
building a solid foundation for students and the university. PC members
since 1981, the Satre's join a handful of other loyal members who have
renewed their membership for more than 20 years. According to Wendell, who
enjoys supporting the College of Engineering and the Vandal Scholarship Fund
with his annual gifts, "anything we can do to help educate our young people
helps to make our world a better place, and isn't that why we are here?" To
learn how you can join the President's Circle, contact Mary Hasenoehrl at
(208) 885-5369 or mhaseno at uidaho.edu.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Hog Haven, Idaho

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy