[Vision2020] We Are All Liberals--Well, Almost All

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 23 11:39:12 PDT 2004

Greetings:

This piece has been rambling around in my head for several years, and here
it is out in the open for the political season.

         WE ARE ALL LIBERALS--WELL, ALMOST ALL

         Liberal democracy is spreading throughout the world and these
countries are "liberalizing" their economies.  Our conservative politicians
praise this development and even encourage it.  Economists at the
University of Chicago who support free market capitalism prefer to be
called "classical liberals." Conservatives support Christian liberal arts
colleges, and all of us want our children to have a good liberal arts
education.
         But what are conservatives doing supporting liberal ideas?  Isn't
liberalism supposed to a bad thing?  Not in the old days it wasn't.  The
Latin word liberalis means "pertaining to the free person," that's the
reason why a liberal arts education prepares students for making free and
responsible choices in their lives.
         In medieval times there was a strict distinction between the
liberi, the free born nobles, and the servi, those who were born to serve
and obey.  The American and French Revolutions were fought to eliminate
this distinction and to declare that all human being, regardless of their
class, had inalienable rights to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.
         The divine right of kings and the rule of top males constitute
classical conservatism, whereas the American and French Revolutions gave us
classical liberalism.  I don't know anyone who still wants an absolute
monarch, so all of us today, conservative and liberal, are living in the
political house of classical liberalism.
         The watch words of the French Revolution were "equality, liberty,
and fraternity." I would like redefine "fraternity" as "community" and
point out what I think went wrong in France.  The French revolutionaries
mistakenly thought that their "new man" would be able to create new values
from scratch.  Our American revolutionaries were much more
reasonable.  Although they were critical of oppressive tradition and
religion, they still saw value in traditional community values.
         Today's conservatives are classical liberals because they support
equality and liberty as well as community.  Conservatives go wrong when
they support, or used to support, traditions that discriminated against
people because of their race or their gender.  For classical liberalism to
work, as it has done where it now thrives in the world, the three values
must always achieve balance and harmony.
         Classical liberals who stress liberty and neglect equality and
community are called "libertarians."  Libertarians believe that adults
should be able to do anything they choose as long as they do not kill,
assault, defraud, or steal.  They make, I believe, persuasive arguments
with regard to free speech, private sexuality, and taking drugs,  but their
rejection of public services and education undermine the ideal of equality
of opportunity.
         Classical liberals who stress equality are those who have now been
tagged as "liberal" as a four-letter word. It was common for some people to
argue that no person is equal to another, so this is an impossible
ideal.  Classical liberals were not talking about physical traits such as
strength or skin color; rather, they were talking about formal equality
before the law, the very cornerstone of liberal democracy everywhere.
         The free born noble Americans who found our country claimed that
only they as male property owners could have a full complement of
rights.  However, African Americans and then women forced us to realize
that the classical liberal promise for America was a sham until they were
included with full and equal rights.
         Today Americans who are attracted to people of their own sex,
through no choice of their own, are denied the equal rights guaranteed by
the U.S. Constitution.  When judges, even those appointed by Republicans,
repeatedly rule in favor of gay and lesbians, they are simply upholding the
ideal of equality won for us by American and French revolutionaries.
         When local governments recognize the right of gays and lesbians to
marry, it does not undermine traditional values.  On the contrary, the love
that these couples express to one another preserves the sanctity of
marriage, and it causes no harm to heterosexual wedding ceremonies
performed according to conservative religious traditions.
         It is always surprising to me to find that there are some
Americans who are not liberals in this classical sense.  There are some
right here in Idaho who believe that men should vote for their wives and
that gays and lesbians should be executed or at least banned from
society.  Finally, there are some in the South who want to set up a New
Confederacy in which Calvinist males would rule in the name of God over
women and other lesser human beings.  Classical conservatism will always
find a few fans.