[Vision2020] Letter From UI President White

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Sep 20 17:56:34 PDT 2004

The "Extra" Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho

Alumni and Friends

September 20, 2004

Dear Friday Letter reader,

Over the weekend, the University of Idaho family suffered two separate
tragedies.

Early Sunday morning, students Jason Yearout and Jack Shannon, both of
Boise, were involved in a motorcycle accident close to campus. Jason died at
the scene; Jack died Monday afternoon at Sacred Heart Medical Center in
Spokane. Both were members of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity. Jason was a junior
majoring in theater arts and film; Jack was a sophomore studying
communications.

On Sunday afternoon, student Eric McMillan was shot at his off-campus
apartment in Moscow. Eric died early Monday morning. Two suspects were
apprehended near Vantage, Washington, following a high-speed chase. They are
being held in Whitman County Jail in Colfax. Eric was a sophomore majoring
in business management and human resources. He was a starting corner back
for the Vandal football team.

We extend our heartfelt sympathies to the families and friends of our
students, Eric, Jack, and Jason. This is a time of deep sorrow for the
entire community, and especially for those who raised, lived with and loved
these three wonderful young men.

The loss of Eric, Jack, and Jason leaves a sense of anger, disbelief and
questioning, as well as profound sadness. Words seem inadequate to express
the depth of our feelings.

In addition to the families and friends most directly affected, many of our
students, faculty, and staff are grieving. We have asked that all members of
the community respect that grieving will take different forms for different
people and will occur over different periods of time. Understanding and
flexibility will be key to helping our students, in particular, through this
difficult time.

The University of Idaho is a community of strong interconnections, and these
tragedies affect us all. At times of such deep sorrow, we comfort each other
by pulling together and supporting one another as we work through these
tragic events.

Sincerely,

Tim and Karen White