[Vision2020] Apology, revised.

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 19 22:11:45 PDT 2004

Tom Hansen reports that the following appeared in the September 18th, 2004 edition of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News:

Example not meant to offend

Much has been written lately of my use of Gen. Robert E. Lee as an example of leadership skills. Little did I realize how I would offend some in our community by using Lee. For this, I am truly sorry and want you to know there were no other motives or intentions on my part to further perpetuate the local debate among some. This is unfortunate and, again, I failed to consider the effect this might have or how deeply it may have offended some of you.

Please know I do not wish to cause harm to anyone in this rich and culturally diverse community. I underestimated the effect of my presentation and, in the future, I will be more careful in both my words and actions. Thank you.

Paul J. Kimmell
Executive Director
Moscow Chamber of Commerce
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Visionaries,

At the risk of appearing implacable, I have to say that as apologies go, this just isn't good enough.  Paul talks too much about "some" people.  Some of us are offended; some of us insist upon debate; some of us are a pain in the keister.  Okay, he didn't say that last thing, but the implication is there.  What's more, it may even be correct.  During a game of pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey at my seventh birthday party, I acquired a lifelong addiction to sticking thumbtacks in asses.  Can't seem to shake it, no matter how much methadone I take.

But, in the interests of productive community interaction, and since I have been urged both on-list and off to give Paul a greater benefit of the doubt, I've decided to offer him my editorial advice.  I usually charge between twenty and thirty bucks an hour for this, but Paul may consider the following my gift to the Chamber -- just in case they really are financially-strapped.  Who knows?  I've been told that they are, and I've been told that they aren't, but as we all know, there's a thin line between Enron Good and Enron Bad.  I'll play it safe and err on the side of charity

Here goes:

Example poorly chosen

Much has been written lately of my use of Gen. Robert E. Lee as an example of leadership skills.  I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am deeply sorry for my choice of Lee and for my failure to recognize the divisive nature of selecting a Confederate general as a leadership model for the Moscow business community.  The community is still reeling from the controversy stemming from Doug Wilson's pamphlet, Southern Slavery As It Was, and my choice of Lee has unfortunately reopened that wound.

I don't know what came over me.  It was not my intention to fan the flames of discord.  I am truly sorry, and I want you to know there were no obscure motives or hidden intentions on my part to further perpetuate a painful local debate.  In choosing General Lee, I failed to consider the effect this might have on our community or how deeply it would offend so many of Moscow's residents.  Please know that I do not wish to cause harm to anyone in this rich, culturally diverse, open and welcoming community.  I utterly failed to consider the effect of my presentation and, in the future, I will be more careful in both my words and actions.

Thank you and again, please accept my sincere apology.

Paul J. Kimmell, etc., etc.

[END}

This might strike some of you as a bit groveling.  So what?  I think under the circumstances, a little groveling is in order.
Humility: it's not just for Unitarians anymore.

Joan Opyr/Auntie EstablishmentGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com