[Vision2020] Moscow Community Blood Drive

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Fri Sep 17 09:46:57 PDT 2004

Dick writes:

>That's why it is called "Health Care", when we are done we are more healthy
>and not picking up some sort of disease from our health care. If I had to
>play Russian roulette over a pint of blood I may just say "Screw it, Forget
>it, I'll take my chances rather that get AIDS."

All donated blood is screened for infectious agents.  The policy at issue
excludes people because of who they are, not because of the germs or viruses
they carry.  That's why it's not particularly epidemiologically sound.
Donor A, a gay man who has had one partner since 1977, and who is not
infected with any STIs or other infectious diseases, may not donate.  Donor
B, a heterosexual man who has had 15 partners and has not consistently
practiced safer sex, may donate.  If Donor B is infected with HIV, his blood
will be screened out by testing.  Donor A, whose blood would have passed
muster, will not be able to make up for that loss.

Slice it as you will, it's not very good science.

Nevertheless, everyone who can, should give blood!  If the exclusions bother
you, write to the FDA and ask them to reconsider.

Give blood!

Melynda