[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 17 05:49:28 PDT 2004

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho

Alumni and Friends

September 17, 2004

Dear Friday Letter reader,

Fall semester must be underway; I see some very serious studying going on at
the Commons, in the library and around campus. One group that has been
working on its assignment since last May is the University Vision and
Resources Task Force. I appointed this group of 25 - primarily faculty, with
student and staff representatives as well - to take a comprehensive look at
how best to bring our program offerings in line with the resources
available, and at the same time, create a high aspiration that serves the
state with quality and distinction. This group has been working late into
the evenings and on weekends to complete their very important work. The
report will spark a thorough conversation with constituents on and off
campus, which will inform critical decisions in the coming year. I will
share more details as our work progresses.

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news at the University of Idaho:

~ Robert Wrigley, acclaimed Idaho poet and UI creative writing director,
will receive a 2004 Governor's Award for Excellence in the Arts Oct. 2 at
the Warhawk Air Museum in Nampa. He is one of 16 to be honored, the only one
in the literary arts. Wrigley's work has appeared in the most prestigious
and widely read journals and magazines of the nation, including Poetry, The
New Yorker and The Atlantic Monthly.

~ UI scientist Vladimir Aizen and colleagues from Ohio, Maine, Germany,
Switzerland, China and Japan hope global climate change will become a
central topic for the American Geophysical Union. Aizen, a research
professor of geography, specializes in collecting ice cores from glaciers to
preserve the natural climate records they contain. The cores preserve a rich
source of information that is rapidly melting away. The melting glaciers
represent the loss of natural libraries of climate records. "We would like
to bring more attention to this problem," Aizen said. "We would lose
valuable records that go back thousands of years."

~ Eight young, professional Russian jazz musicians will be experiencing
American jazz at the 2005 Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. The Open World
Leadership Center, housed in the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.,
has selected the university to receive a $61,000 grant to support the visit.
UI is one of four grant recipients, along with the Thelonius Monk Institute
in New York and Washington, D.C., the University of Louisville and the Dave
Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific.

~ The student-to-employer ratio will be 15 to 1, and chances are rosier this
year for students to find jobs or internships at the 2004 Career Expo of the
Palouse, Sept. 29, in the Kibbie-ASUI Activity Center. "National figures
show the job market is on the bounce, and we're hoping that our eighth
annual effort between UI and Washington State University to bring employers
to the Palouse will reflect that trend," said lead organizer Dan Blanco.