[Vision2020] Accountability Report Card

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Mon Sep 13 13:13:15 PDT 2004

Visionaries:

In his response to the election questions posed by Vision 2020, my
opponent challenged me to provide readers with an "Accountability
Report Card". While not quite sure exactly what he is asking for, I
am willing to provide a reporting in similar fashion to his.  I will
gladly respond to questions or requests for additional information.
Not having served yet as a legislator, my report card will highlight
the other aspects of my public service to the community: as citizen
lobbyist, as Latah County Commissioner and as a citizen activist. It
takes the effort of many people to make change. In the interest of
brevity, I have not included the names of the many partners I have
had in making these accomplishments real. My thanks, and the
community's thanks, to all of you. I include below those activities I
played a lead role in organizing or bringing to fruition.

Legislative Accomplishments:
1987-1990: Co-authored changes to Idaho's livestock laws to allow
landowners to create herd districts in which ranchers are responsible
for fencing livestock in rather than requiring landowners to fence
livestock out.  Legislation was adopted.

1991: Co-authored Idaho's solid waste landfill and recycling
statutes. Presented the legislation to germane committees in both
House and Senate on behalf of the Idaho Association of Counties and
Idaho's Public Health Districts.  Legislation was adopted.

1994: Presented the budget request of Idaho's Public Health Districts
to the Legislature's Joint Finance and Appropriation Committee.
Secured an increased appropriation above base levels resulting in
increased delivery of preventative health services in Latah County.

1995: Negotiated/drafted with timber, mining and agricultural
interests Idaho's first water quality statutes. Legislation was
adopted.

Citizen Activist
1977- Built the first curbside recycling collection vehicle for the
Moscow Recycling Center (then an independent non-profit).

1977-1987: Helped establish Moscow's Renaissance Fair as an annual
tradition. Donated timber framing, structural steel and labor to
build the permanent stage in East City Park.

1983: Led a campaign to protect the people and environment of the
Palouse from needless application of the most toxic EPA licensed
pesticide, disulfuton.  At the time, the ag-chem industry was
attempting to convince area farmers to treat their wheat crop to kill
Russian wheat aphids.  Use of this chemical was halted by informing
the public and growers of the true nature of the pest threat and less
toxic alternative treatments.

1984-1994: Protected the ancient cedar grove on Moscow Mountain from
commercial timber harvest by arranging for the Nature Conservancy to
manage this unique parcel of state endowment land.

1987: Organized and led the first cleanup of Paradise Creek on the
15th anniversary of Earth Day.

1990: Participated as lead organizer in a successful campaign to
force the state of Idaho to clean up its most polluted waters,
including Paradise Creek and more than thirty other streams in the
county. This effort has led to the investment of more than one
million federal Clean Water Act dollars in Paradise Creek restoration
work.

1990-present: Organized and continue to lead a campaign to require
Potlatch Corporation to install more effective air and water
pollution controls at their Lewiston facility. Toxic discharges from
the mill imperil public health and the environment.

1995-present: As the state-appointed environmental member of the
Clearwater Basin Advisory Group, helped secure more Clean Water Act
restoration dollars to north-central Idaho than any other region of
the state.

1995-1999: Organized and implemented with the Coeur d'Alene Tribe the
successful campaign to force mining company cleanup of toxic heavy
metal pollution in the Coeur d'Alene Basin.  EPA expects cleanup of
this toxic site to amount to a $359 million local investment.

2001-present: Coordinate the efforts of Friends of Moscow Mountain to
maintain appropriate public recreational access to the private lands
of Moscow Mountain.

2002: Named one of the nation's Thirty Heroes of the Clean Water Act
on the occasion of the Act's thirtieth anniversary.

2003-present: Organized and continue to help Moscow citizen groups
change state designation of the aquifers underlying the Moscow area
and worked to implement changes in City of Moscow municipal water
usage policies to protect the region's finite Grande Ronde aquifer.

Elected Official (Latah County Commissioner 1991-1994)
Instituted the current solid waste/recycling system for county residents.

Established the Region 2 Juvenile Detention Center.

Negotiated with Gritman Memorial Hospital to increase the amount of
charitable care for needy county residents reducing demands on county
property taxpayers.

Established the county's first comprehensive personnel policy. County
employee turnover decreased due to this and other personnel decisions
made by the board of commissioners.

Revitalized and modernized the county park system including Robinson
Park and Moose Creek Reservoir.

Accountability
I know what accountability in government means: I was held
accountable by the voters of this county when we tried to make the
county commissioner's job full-time rather than part-time during my
term as Latah County Commissioner. I appreciate the lesson I was
taught, hard as it may have been. If elected, I will hold government
in Boise to the same high standard of accountability that I was
taught by county voters a decade ago.

Mark Solomon, candidate for Idaho House of Representatives, District 6A