[Vision2020] Re: Radio Free Moscow presents and panel discussion Pat Kraut's posting

Rula Awwad-Rafferty rulaa at uidaho.edu
Sun Sep 12 23:44:55 PDT 2004

I have debated whether to respond to Pat Kraut's allegations or not, and decided that for the record a correction of an erroneous statement must be made.  As one of the Panelists, I guarantee you that NO ONE on the panel ever said that "we deserved the attacks on 9/11 and what ever else is coming."  On the contrary, the panelists from their diverse perspectives collectively echoed three basic principles:

1.  Hate and violence begets hate and violence, no one--regardless of who or where-- deserves the atrocities of 9/11, or any other atrocities that happened prior or after that.

2.  We do not know why someone does something, when someone breaks into my house for example (not that it happened, but just as a far analogy), I am not the one to be blamed for that person's behavior; however, it is irresponsible of me to put my head in the sand and blame all on fate, the others, and whatever else and not do anything about how to protect my home.  I can initiate a neighborhood watch, I can work toward creating alternatives to crime and violence,  or be active in responsible and meaningful endeavors that bring my community together in combating such acts and the underlying issues that may fostered them-poverty, ignorance, alienation, imbalance of power,  .etc.  The panelists in their collective responses did just that; what a responsible person would do when faced with a horrendous act.

3.  Disenfranchised, powerless, and alienated individuals who are hopeless sometimes commit reprehensible acts that to them may be the only way to be heard.  This does not justify or condone these acts but gives us pause on the need to create a place where people are empowered; researchers who conduct work with gangs for example cite similar reasons why some youth join gangs and cites ways to provide alternatives for those youth so they feel that they have alternatives, and that their voices are heard.

For vision2020 listserve members: I invite you all to listen to the panel discussion on Radio Free Moscow which should be linked shortly, and decide for yourself what the panelists did or did not say.  On the other hand, Ms. Kraut; we all have our opinions, perceptions, and experiences.  "Truth" is a relative term, divergent narratives of the same "story" do co-exist, and that co-existence is the backbone of a democracy.  As I respect your right to state your opinion, I believe an apology for making these false allegations and disinformation in your posted message is in order here.

Thank You

Rula Awwad-Rafferty