[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 10 05:55:25 PDT 2004

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho
Alumni and Friends
September 10, 2004

Dear Friday Letter reader,

The University of Idaho announced a near record enrollment of 12,824
students throughout the state on Wednesday, with a record number of graduate
students and significant increases in those taking courses on the Web.

What I find most remarkable is the very high quality of the students we
continue to attract at all levels. The university's ability to recruit the
most National Merit Scholars and valedictorians in the state speaks to the
quality of our faculty and academic programs. We attracted nine new National
Merit Scholars, which brings the total number of those high-achieving
students at the university to 34. This places us among the top two or three
schools in the Pacific Northwest with that number of National Merit
Scholars. The freshman class also includes 69 valedictorians and 72 students
with perfect 4.0 grade point averages.

Overall, headcount was down by just a half percent from last fall's record
enrollment, primarily due to a drop in the number of non-degree seeking
students - those who take just a course or two. Over the past five years, UI
has grown 13.4 percent from 11,305 students in 1999 to nearly 13,000 today.

Graduate student numbers were up at every UI location in the state. Overall,
graduate enrollment grew more than 3 percent, from last year's 2,499 to
2,578, which reflects the appeal of the research and creativity focus of the
UI's graduate programs. As the state's research university, we continue to
attract quality graduate students. We have grown a $105 million-per-year
research enterprise that provides important financial support for students,
but also generates the innovation that is key to growing and sustaining the
Idaho economy.

The number of students taking courses through the Web and via distance
learning technologies also grew dramatically. The number of Web students
alone increased 25 percent since last fall to 2,064.These increases reaffirm
the University of Idaho's land-grant mission to serve citizens throughout
the state. We are serving Idahoans where they live as well as on the Moscow
campus and at our three research and instructional centers in Boise, Idaho
Falls and Coeur d'Alene. This fall's student body also is the most diverse
in its history. The number of minority students grew nearly 6 percent to
973.

On another topic, I want to thank all who participated in the Vandal Pride
Week activities in Boise. I was very proud of our university during the
course of these events, and it again confirmed the remarkable depth and
breadth of support and enthusiasm for the University of Idaho.

I congratulate Boise State University on its victory; I will graciously wear
the blue and orange at the next Idaho Board of Education meeting. As Coach
Holt has said, we have some work to do, but I am confident the Vandals are
up to the task. Although the score wasn't in anybody's plan, our players
kept playing and our coaches kept coaching through the end of the game.
Karen and I visited the players and coaches after the game to let them know
of our ongoing support.

Tim White
President

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
exist very nicely in the same box.