[Vision2020] Massacre on the blue turf

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 00:02:56 PDT 2004

Carl:

Football is a metaphor for the struggles in life that we have limited or no
control over, for the real hopes and dreams that we wish we could manage as
simply as moving a ball around a field with arms and legs.  We project these
hopes and dreams into this game, which is a fantasy escape as powerful as those
induced by opium.  But when the dreams are dashed, when the fantasy does not
provide us our vicarious fulfillment (oxymoron?), we respond as though real
dreams in the real world were shattered.  But if the football fantasy is realized,
though nothing of any real importance has changed, it is as though utopian
dreams were realized.  Of course they are not really realized in this fashion,
thus the need for the next victory and the next and so forth, just like an
addict who needs another fix to keep his dream world going...

Football as a fantasy fulfilling (or not) psychological addiction fueled by
projection of unfulfilled dreams and hopes into the game's drama...

Does this make any sense?

Ted Moffett