[Vision2020] For the Dogs

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 9 15:55:15 PDT 2004

>From the story (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/09/shooting.dog.ap/index.html):

"A man who tried to shoot seven puppies was shot himself when one of the dogs
put its paw on the revolver's trigger.
Jerry Allen Bradford, 37, was charged with felony animal cruelty, the Escambia
County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday. "

This just sickens me:  he managed to shoot three of the puppies to death before
being stopped; the surviving four appear to be OK and should be offered for
adoption.

A couple of comments.

First, I'm glad this happened in FL, where legislators have realized that some
animal cruelty cases warrant felony charges, rather than here in ID, which is
just one of nine states still in the Dark Ages without a felony animal cruelty
statute.  Folks, this has *got* to change!  We've had one or two cases right
here in Latah County alone I'm aware of (not to mention cases I've heard of from
around the state) that needed felony prosecutions (IMHO and in the opinion of
animal welfare legal experts) by a prosecutor's office which has zero tolerance
for cruelty.  Violence is violence is violence is violence, and animal cruelty
harms the *entire* community.

Second, the reason that FL moron wanted to shoot those seven poor puppies to
death was ostensibly because he couldn't find homes for the pups.  Well . . .
DUH!  What rock has that idiot been living under?!?!  Everyone with any
functioning brain matter understands the terrible problem of pet overpopulation
and how to prevent the situation in the first place.

Can we all say "Spay and neuter"?  Sheesh!

Besides, a quick search finds that he could have simply turned to pups over to
the local animal control authorities or humane society so ***his*** problem
could have been humanely handled.

I'd like to "fix" that jerk, and I'm only sorry that the bullet that got him
only hit his wrist.

Off my soapbox,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID