[Vision2020] Massacre on the blue turf

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Sep 6 05:56:03 PDT 2004

Two things, Mr. Dredge -

Do you know what you are talking about?  Or haven't you visited the Vandal
Athletic Center (VAC)?  The VAC is just a start.  I work at UI Facilities
Management and you can feel rest assured that improvements of the ASUI
Kibbie Activity Center have only begun.

The question, "Why doesn't UI invest more funds into womens' athletics?"  I
agree that there are other athletic programs that are currently more
successful than football.  Women's basketball is currently experiencing its
most successful team it has placed on the court for decades and should make
it to the NCAA tournament in March with the strength they have.  Women's
volleyball has been a joy to watch as long as I can remember.  Believe it or
not, football is a money maker for the university.  I am certain that once
other athletic programs start averaging 12,000 to 15,000 in attendance, the
powers that be will shift there focus accordingly.

Yes.  The football program has been horribly ineffective these past four
years (11 wins overall).  UI has just started this season with a new head
coach, Nick Holt (who, if you remember, was defensive coordinator under John
L. Smith here at UI).  Give Nick Holt a couple years and I guarantee Idaho
will become a major threat in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

The NCAA is also currently undergoing restructuring and establishment of new
policies, too many to list on this posting.  However, if you truly are
interested, please contact me off list and I will be more than happy to
discuss the details.

Until then,

Take care and . . .

GO VANDALS ! ! !