[Vision2020] Palouse Mall

bill london london at moscow.com
Sun Sep 5 11:14:26 PDT 2004

    The Palouse Mall is moving dirt in the planting strip adjacent to
the Moscow-Pullman Highway.  The V-shaped ditch along the road has been
covered in dirt and a culvert system has been installed.
    This is all in response to the Mall's illegal cutting of trees and
bushes four years ago, and the replanting plan that was negotiated over
that four-year period between the city, the mall, the Idaho Department
of Transportation and the UI.
    I understood that (as part of the plan for the replanting of that
strip) the grassy ditch along the highway would remain -- so when that
ditch disappeared, I started asking questions at the city.
    This is what I found out:
    What was there before was a ditch.  Runoff water would collect in
that ditch and dump into the creek.  A far better system for aquifer
recharge and the gradual absorbing of rainwater into the ground is a "swale"
    A swale is a very shallow ditch, with a culvert system installed
within it.  The culvert has inlets that are just above the ground
level.  So when water enters the swale in moderate amounts, it puddles
there and slowly is absorbed by the ground.  When water enters the swale
in large amounts (like a big rainstorm), the water flows into the inlets
and then into the culver and then into the creek.
    What has been installed in most of the planting strip is a swale.
And it sounds to me like that is an improvement.
BL