[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 3 05:50:57 PDT 2004

Greetings Vandals and Visionaires -

For those of you unable to receive the University of Idaho Friday Letter,
here is this week's copy.

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends September 3, 2004

Dear Friday Letter reader,

It's the weekend of the big Vandals vs. Broncos game, and I am looking
forward to it! I made a friendly agreement with BSU President Bob Kustra. If
the Vandals win, he'll wear a University of Idaho tie to the next meeting of
the Idaho Board of Education - I can see the photo now! If the Broncos
prevail, I promise to don a tie of orange and blue at the next state board
meeting. I know the student body presidents were making bets as well, but
the stakes sounded much higher, i.e., shaved heads and tattoos. In-state
athletic rivalries are great rallying points for students, alumni and other
supporters of each institution. They also set a stage for academic
collaboration and cooperation when it makes the best sense to do so. Karen,
Logan and I are looking forward to meeting many of you at one of the Vandal
Pride activities that have been going on this week and continue through the
weekend. I hope to see you at the game Saturday, and let me say, for the
first time officially - Go Vandals!

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news at the University of Idaho:

~ Mexico native Sonia Ponce was working in a tree nursery near Bonners Ferry
trying to save money for college when she first heard about the University
of Idaho's College Assistance Migrant Program. She didn't speak English and
had no clue how to apply for college, let alone financial aid. But with the
help of a friend she worked with in the fields, she applied for and was
accepted into University of Idaho CAMP. "That first year was extremely
difficult," the 23-year-old says. "I was dealing with a different culture, a
different language, a different educational setting.... A friend told me
once, 'Find someone who cares about you and you'll get through college.' I
found that at the University of Idaho." Ponce graduated with a bachelor's
degree in psychology and now is working on applications to medical school.
Hers is one of a growing number of success stories attributable to CAMP.
University officials learned just recently that the $1.6 million grant the
university won in 1999 has been approved for funding for another five years.
That means approximately $360,000 a year to help

35 students pay for their first year of college. The university is one of 46
CAMP programs in the United States.

~ The NASA Idaho Space Grant Consortium - known for bringing Idaho students
such competitions as the Mars Rover Challenge- recently received the highest
of marks on its 15-year performance evaluation. As a result, it received a
five-year program extension and better chances for increased funding.
Established in 1991, the ISGC is the Idaho connection to NASA and its
research, higher education, K-12 education and public outreach programs.
Idaho's consortium includes Idaho's higher education institutions, five
science centers and museums, two science organizations, two state
departments, two industry representatives, a state park and a national
monument. They contribute to statewide research, preschool to graduate level
curriculum development, conferences, expositions and pre-college programs,
and attract student participation through scholarships, fellowships,
workforce development programs and internships.

Take care,

UI '96