[Vision2020] Leadership

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 09:59:19 PDT 2004

Visionaries:

The question has been asked (paraphrased) what failure of leadership did
Robert E. Lee exhibit that would preclude him for being an excellent choice for
the subject of a leadership seminar.  Setting aside his ability as a tactician
or strategist, which seems to me to have no relevance in the daily life of
Moscow business folks - unless, unbeknownst to the community the Pullman Chamber
has declared war on the Moscow Chamber and even as I type are slinking over the
Palouse to lay siege to our fair town - it seems to me that the single most
important element in leadership is judgment.

I am clear that Lee's judgment to fight to defend a way of life - that
benefited few (and those mightily) while exploiting millions of others is not an
exemplary example of clear thinking.  Or, as I would argue, Lee's thinking is
transparent, and that is why many Visionaries are objecting to his glorification.

The laudatory character traits i.e. brave, gentle, generous, noble, character
in defeat listed by "S." fall by the wayside when one considers the human
cost of Lee's desire to sit at Arlington, sip mint juleps and listen to his wife
whine (a skill in which she apparently showed considerable leadership
herself.)  Do you call a man brave, gentle, generous and noble who owns and exploits
other human beings?  I don't.

Rose Huskey

"