[Vision2020] Chamber Squandered a Public Opportunity

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Thu Oct 28 11:19:04 PDT 2004

Tom,

Thank you for posting this timely editorial.  However, the editorial appeared to
contain at least one serious error.  Below is a letter I sent to the Daily News
concerning the editorial.

Murf,

Thank you for your insightful editorial yesterday on the Moscow Chamber of
Commerce.  It said part of what many of us have long thought.

I think it likely that the editorial did contain one quite misleading assertion:

"The full audit didn't materialize but a review did. The review, by an
independent accounting firm, found nothing major enough to warrant a full
audit."

Nowhere in the narrative of the review did the author say that a full audit was
not necessary or desirable.  As far as I know, the only people to make that
assertion are Janice McMillan and Paul Kimmell.  I have seen nothing that
indicates that Hayden & Ross said that a full audit would not be desirable.
Word in the street is that Jim Pilcher is not happy with some of the public
representations about the review that McMillan and Kimmell have made, including
the lack of the desirability of an audit.

In fact, a close reading of the review indicates that very little was said about
the chamber's financial health or the quality of its financial management:

"All information included in these [revised] financial statements is the
representation of the management of the Moscow Chamber of Commerce."

This means that none of the basic financial data used to construct the revised
chamber financials was not closely examined for accuracy or validity.  The
chamber's basic numbers were accepted basically without verification.

Further, the review carefully says:

"Based on our review, we are not aware of any material modifications that should
be made to the accompanying financial statements in order for them to be in
conformity with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of
America."

Combining the two statements, we are left with the slim conclusion that if the
data is correct, then the format of the revised chamber Balance Sheet and
Income/Activity Statements and calculations within that format are within the
bounds of "generally accepted accounting practice."  [Major news reports of the
last few years which have exposed the possible fraudulence that can be contained
under "generally accepted accounting practice" certainly do not make such a
statement very reassuring.]

Unfortunately, the review gave scant or no explanations for the many changes
that were made.

Further, the review given out to the public did not contain any revised chamber
foundation financials, without which a total assessment of the chamber financial
health is not possible.

Nor did the review address the problem of why a $148K discrepancy occurred in
the previously published financials, why net income ($75K) from revised FYE 2003
results was subtracted from retained earnings instead of added, and how and for
what reason were the FYE 2003 results revised.  In fact, if a I read the
explanationless review numbers correctly, the revised FYE 2003 results (which
show a huge $75K profit) were not used.

Nor were any revised financials for the years 2001 - 2003 presented.  All of
these previous financials had problems and misrepresented the financial health
of the chamber.  Without these revised financials, it is not possible to make a
complete assessment of what has occurred financially or management-wise over the
last four years.  [In fairness to Hayden & Ross, I do not know if such revisions
were part of the initial review agreement; if not, they should have been.]

I do not think the Daily News has done a fair or in-depth reporting of this
entire important matter.  I delivered long ago to Nathan documents showing the
$148K discrepancy and The $75K retained earnings problem and the implications of
such.

A more comprehensive analysis of the chambers financials is now underway by
really independent persons.  It is fair to say at this point that the management
of the chamber has exhibited egregiously inept financial knowledge and
management.  There remains the possibility that even more sinister problems
lurk.

I hope that in the future the Daily News will try to be more factually correct
and balanced in their future coverage of this matter.  Such an action will
eventually speed the recovery of the chamber and help to eventually restore at
least some of the confidence, honor, and goodwill the chamber has lost.

Wayne

Wayne A. Fox
waf at moscow.com
PO Box 9421