[Vision2020] MCA Debates

Tom thansen at moscow.com
Wed Oct 27 16:29:55 PDT 2004

Thank you, Wayne.  Very Well put.

An open, unrehearsed debate is the purest way to put a candidate to the test.
If a candidate refuses to confront his/her opponent and constituents how are we
to establish faith, trust, and confidence in him/her when the going gets tough
once (s)he is elected into office.

To me a debate is meant to be adversarial and it should be.  This is not
supposed to be a quick two-minute "vote for me" speech followed by a group
hug.  Let's see how these candidates respond when the temperature rises and
tension builds.

Tom Hansen

> Debbie, Dan, Tom, et al,
>
> Mark Solomon has already politely answered the main issue of this thread.
But I
> [...]
depth
> exposition and defense of their views/records/qualifications, etc.
>
> [For a real revelation, read carefully the DN article again where the no-
shows
> give their reasons for not attending.]
>
> For reasons that will subsequently appear, I did not think that Wayne Rausch
> would have the courage to appear.
>
> I was really disappointed that Jeff Harkins did not appear;  he has some
ideas
> that, if refined, appear, when expressed in brief, to have merit.  I was
looking
> forward to the kind of discussion that might further elucidate his ideas and,
> also perhaps, might show some of the problems they may have at this point.
>

> I agree with Mark.  Until the MCA forum, there was little opportunity to
witness
> a meaningful debate.  As a believer in the "marketplace of ideas" and the
> freedom and necessity of searching discussions as a method of
> progress/evaluation, I find the behavior of the no-shows to be a cowardly
> poke-in-the-eye to concerned and sincere voters.
>
> I do not like to buy a pig-in-the poke.  Perhaps though, I am off-base in
> thinking that good citizenship means at least having a fundamental grasp of
the
> main issues, knowing where candidates stand on the issues, their background,
> experience, and personal traits, and being able to assess the probability
they
> can and will make good on their campaign assertions.  My hope is that all the
> local forums in the next election will follow the lead of the MCA so that we
all
> may benefit.
>
> Wayne
>
> Wayne A. Fox
> waf at moscow.com
> PO Box 9421
> Moscow, ID 83843
> 208 882-7975

> All,
>
> Re:  The MCA Debates:  a statement to voters about the woeful local GOP --a
> lunge from the heights of respectability to the depths of cowardice,
arrogance,
> and childishness (except Jack Nelson!).
>

> Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a democracy.  Statements by
> candidates about their qualifications/views and critical analyses thereof are
an
> indispensable element of that expression.
>

> The local GOP is boycotting the MCA forum, thus depriving deserving voters of
> more searching look at their candidacies than other forums.
>

> Their publicly expressed reasons:  fear of "planted" hostile questions,
> non-allowance of unopposed candidates, and fear of "personal attacks" (read:
> close scrutiny of claimed qualifications).
>

> Lame.  Juvenile.
>

> "Planted" hostile questions do not occur at other forums?  Yeah, right.
Would
> it alter election results if an unopposed candidate doesn't appear?  Is it a
> "personal attack" to show a candidate has egregiously lied about his
> qualifications?
>

> The real GOP reason is the well-founded fear that two of their candidates,
Tom